Help me get this pistol shrimp out!

C0lin

Thats a good thing though, keeping your sand bed turned over is what he's supposed to do, and it's extremely beneficial for your tank. If you take him out, you'll have to get something else to turn over the sand, and a sand sifting goby, such as a diamond goby, will make a huge mess and you'll get sand EVERYWHERE...Leave the shrimp in the DT, you'll come to appreciate what he does for the sand dude, trust me.

Then you're in the wrong hobby, your sand will never be flat on the bottom, no matter what you do, unless you have 0 flow and 0 clean-up crew.

Sand stars are bad ideas, IMO, they burn through the food available to them in our sand-beds, unless you have a very large system, so fast, that it doesn't replenish itself(the sand-bed that is) before the star starves. Leave the pistol in the DT, get a shrimp goby, such as a yellow watchman or a hi-fin banded or something similar, and watch them pair up, it's a really unique relationship and is a lot of fun to watch.

You'll see the shrimp a lot more often for one, I get to watch mine all the time, since their burrow is right in the front of the tank. The goby will sit on the sand right outside the burrow while the shrimp redecorates it, an sometimes, they'll just both sit there, chilling, right on the lip of the cave entrance, it's really cool.

Just certain ones, you need to get what's known as a shrimp goby.

Such as the following:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+31+2109&pcatid=2109

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+31+2755&pcatid=2755

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+31+181&pcatid=181

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+31+197&pcatid=197

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+31+195&pcatid=195

Personal Favorite

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+31+1145&pcatid=1145

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+31+228&pcatid=228

There might be more, but that's what a quick search showed me, maybe(hopefully) some of the more knowlegable members will chime in with their .02 worth on which goby would be best, or with more choices, but that's a quick list you can look at.

There is no guarantee that a goby you buy and the shrimp you have will pair up. Just like a clownfish isn't guaranteed to go into an anemone. It's really a crapshoot. I have never been able to get a pistol shrimp and a goby pair up. And if you don't like getting your sand messed up you aren't going to like the behavior of gobies.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I've had my pistol shrimp quite a while now, been through 3 gobies. He came with the first one, it got killed by my powerhead, second got killed by my GSM's, third is still alive and going strong. He's paired up with all 3 of them. It's all about making sure the goby you buy is compatible with pistol shrimp, not all gobies will bond with pistols, but the ones that will, well, they will find each other in the tank, took the hi-fin about a week to find the candy stripe pistol we have, and they've been inseparable ever since.

I've read over and over that "they might not pair." But if you release the goby in a way so that it will only be able to hide in the burrow of the shrimp, I would bet that they'll pair 99.9% of the time. That all means nothing though if you don't have the right type of pistol shrimp. As far as I've been able to tell, if it's a Randall's (candy cane) or a Tiger, they'll pair, basically, 100% of the time, but Bull's eye shrimp sometimes will not. I thought that they never did, then Garrett proved me wrong last time I'm was up there(laugh). Which type do you have?

I have had my sand sifting starfish in my 46 gallon then in my 24 gallon when I downsized now its in my 50 gallon even though it had new sand in it when I set it up. I think they are more hardy then people think. He has been healthy every since I got him. And he does his job well I only see him about once a week.

The other one is my horse shoe crab who does a good job as well.

I have a pink spotted shrimp goby. I had the goby for about 6 months when i put a target pistol in my tank. I saw the shrimp off and on for about a week then it disappeared. After switching everything in my tank to a new tank a couple more months passed by and I couldn't believe my eyes... My shrimp was still there! I've had it for about 5-6 months now and it did pair with the goby! I (like jgf) absolutely love watching the pair hang out. I only actually see the shrimp about once a week. I would never get rid of it.

I've had my pistol shrimp quite a while now' date=' been through 3 gobies. He came with the first one, it got killed by my powerhead, second got killed by my GSM's, third is still alive and going strong. He's paired up with all 3 of them. It's all about making sure the goby you buy is compatible with pistol shrimp, not all gobies will bond with pistols, but the ones that will, well, they will find each other in the tank, took the hi-fin about a week to find the candy stripe pistol we have, and they've been inseparable ever since.[/quote']

I made sure to have the right kind of goby and to have the right kind of shrimp, I just never had any luck. It sounds like I'm the exception though.

I have a bulls eye pistol shrimp and pink spotted goby and they are paired.It is awesome to watch them with each other.The shrimp is a great sand mover.I read that bulls eye shrimp will not pair up but that is false.Anyway it is cool to watch them together.

If you want to make a trap, you can use a two liter bottle, cut the top off, turn the top upside down and then glue the two pieces together.

Here is a video

I agree that having something sift your sand is a good thing, but pistols are a PITA. They will drag frags under rocks, bury chalices/zoos, throw sand all over the place, they somewhat limit your abiity to keep other shrimp and on and on....Not worth the trouble IMO.

If you want to make a trap, you can use a two liter bottle, cut the top off, turn the top upside down and then glue the two pieces together.

Here is a video

I agree that having something sift your sand is a good thing, but pistols are a PITA. They will drag frags under rocks, bury chalices/zoos, throw sand all over the place, they limit your abiity to keep other shrimp and on and on....Not worth the trouble IMO.

Or you can get a hawkfish. My new flame hawkfish took care off my Satan shrimp in about two days.

There are many many different types of pistols commonly available in the aquariium trade...each one having unique characteristics. It's impossible to generalize them all...keeping in mind that what works for one person doesnt work for the next person...see discussion on tangs/dwarf angels/eels/carbon/vodka, etc etc etc.

Here is a very popular video about pistols...

Keeping in mind that not all pistols are the same...

One thing I know for sure is that they have an Incredible digging ability, which in many heavily stocked reef tanks can be detrimental to corals.

BUT, THEY ARE SUPER COOL...so...............

Archived