Fragging Mini's.

cellowithgills

Do you think the stress was the only reason? I don't want to try it until I can get some reassurance for some successful frags.

absolutely it was stress. The one that didn't make it we had just bought from the store. We were told they were hardy so thought it was worth a try. She fragged 2 that we just bought. One made it the other one didn't. Next time we will likely give the poor thing a chance to acclimate before fragging. Miniwhinny on the forum has fragged a lot of them too.

Can someone post the exact process after pulling it out of the tank? Or is it just: pull out of tank' date=' press with paper towel, cut, put back in tank.[/quote']

That's pretty much it the only other thing is to place it in a mixture of something like lugol's solution after fragging and we try to put it back in an area of lower flow.

I've fragged well over a dozen. Here's how to do it step by step.

1. Remove from tank and place on a clean cutting board.

2. Pat dry with a paper towel - remove as much slime as possible - it makes it easier to hold when cutting.

3. Gently open up with your (clean) fingers so it's lying as flat as possible and not bunched up (foot down,mouth up)

4. Use a very sharp, clean knife or razor blade make a clean cut directly through the middle making sure you are cutting through the center of the mouth. You MUST have a piece of the mouth on both halves.

5. Put your halves in a small container with the tank water from their tank - I add 2 drops of iodine (to prevent infection) and let them soak for a couple of minutes.

6. Place back in the tank. I usually leave mine in a small container overnight in a low flow,low light area just to let them heal a bit before they get blasted by flow.

Like I said - I've fragged well over a dozen into halves. I've fragged one into quarters. I've only ever lost half of one frag and I'm pretty certain it's because I fragged it right after it came out of the box following shipping from Florida. If you've purchased some and plan on fragging I strongly suggest placing them in a container in your tank for a day or two first. This allows them to chill and recover from shipping/purchasing and gives you easy access. Don't put them directly into your tank if you're going to frag - these are very sticky little buggers and once in a crevice it's hard to get them off.

You say Iodine' date=' is that real Iodine, like the brown stuff? or is it aquarium Iodine?[/quote']

Yup, the brown stuff lol. I don't use Lugolds. I use Dionne brand, strong iodine, 5%. I think that's the exact same strength as Lugolds but half the price from any farm supply store. It's the same stuff I use on my ponies ';-)

Archived