Yuma fragging and mounting

TheGooseWhisperer

I got some Yumas in the mail today from the Premium Aquarium and a couple unexpected issues came up. I only ordered 2 polyps, but there were 3 so overall I am totally happy with my order. Plus Garrett tossed in an amazing colored rainbow florida for the $10 bonus even though its clearly worth more than 10 bucks. Overall a great order and I'll be going back to him in the future.

So the good: polyp well mounted, mouth a little open from shipping stress. I tucked it under a ledge where it is partially shaded from the 150W MH. Figure we are all good here and just needs to bounce back.

The bad(ish): One polyp had jumped ship and was free floating. I wasnt sure the best way to mount it so I did what I usually do with other shrooms....I have a small tupperware that I cut windows in and glued screen material to. It makes a contained unit that still allows for flow (although not much) and light. I put the polyp in there with some LR rubble. I figure I will leave it for a week and check to see if it is attaching.

The ugly: the third polyp was melting down. However being ever the optomist I took a shot at saving at least a portion. I used a clean fresh scalpel to cut away the damaged tissue, making straight cuts through the mouth. I ended up having to cut away about 2/3 of the tissue. I scrapped off the damaged tissue and did several rinses in SW. I placed the rock on a bare spot where my other shrooms are doing the best.

After all that settled for a bit I did my weekly 10% WC, added fresh carbon and even cleaned my skimmer pump.

So did I do something very wrong? Is there something more I can do? Should I cut the MH light down a bunch tomorrow? Any help would be great! Thanks

Sounds good to me, but like Mick said (in a round about way) being it looked bad it may not make it. I had a yuma that was attached to 2 rocks that I tore in half when moving the rock, (actually less than half (laugh)), one side did not have a mouth at all and it still grew into a healthy one-

Time will tell-Good luck

Sounds like you took all of the right steps although it wasn't entirely necessary to "cut through the mouth". Like other mushrooms they do not need part of the mouth to survive. It may have been doomed already though since it was melting but you might get a break with it.

No worries Garrett. I was awesome to do business with you and in the end I learned abit more. Bummer a polyp is headed to water treatment of course. Great choice on the yellow btw...very nice pop of color where i've placed it around some orange polyps with dark red coralline in the background. Thanks again!

Archived