Ballast question

PeteRock

So I have this MH warehouse ballast that was sold to me claiming to run 175,250,400 Watts. There are no switches or controls on this ballast. Will this ballast put out 400W no matter what and overdrive any bulb that is under 400W?

I currently have a 250 W 14k bulb in there and while I am pretty noob about all this, I just get the feeling this thing is pushing this bulb too hard and things are running a bit hot. I do 1 hour bursts now and its fine, but when it was on for 5 hours straight I was nervous. It is a big retro fit setup and the bulb is maybe 9-10" from the top uncovered water level.

Thanks for your thoughts (rock2)

The ballast itself wont change wattage unless its some fancy digital smart thing. I'm an electrician and have never seen such thing. Especially in a warehouse type ballast. Most ballasts used for industrial are able to run 120, 277, and 230v but that won't change the wattage at all. Who sold you this ballast? Are they a reputable person?

I would like to know more about it so that I can learn as well.

I'm pretty sure Rick is right. Open it up' date=' you should be able to change it easily.[/quote']

Please do not take this the wrong way but I am pretty sure you are wrong. In 17+ years as an electrician I have not seen a warehouse style metal halide fixture with a multi wattage. He may have gotten lucky for it to fire with the lamp he has but more information is needed to determine if it is safe the way he is running it.

If it only has one capacitor inside then it's probably a multi tap voltage rather than multiple wattages. If so get the numbers off the capacitor and run a search for it to see if it matches up with a particular wattage.

That fixture is designed for a 320 watt pulse start metal halide lamp. Not for aquarium lamp wattages. The strap setting is for the adjustable yoke that holds the optical reflector for different applications not adjusting wattages. It is telling you what notches or length the reflector is installed with that fixture housing.

Archived