clown hosting Xenia

J & Jr

I got a clown with the tank I rescued I don't know what kind (looks like nemo except red) my son loves it. just this week I noticed it hanging around the xenia insted of all over the tank bickering with the yellow tang. and this morning I noticed something funny when I fed the fish with shrimp the clown would dash out eat 3 or 4 shrimp then take the next one back to the xenia and spit it out and seemed pissed that the xenia didn't grab the shrimp this went on for about 10 min. is this what hosting is all about and do I need to get him (or her) a Anemone?

reguardles it was fun to watch(clap)

You don't need to get an anemone. I'm convinced my clowns don't do my anemones much good. They are definitaly better after being together for over a year but still will steal the mysis shrimp I feed to my anemones if the anemone doesn't suck it up fast enough. They also get very excited when any other fish come near and do the over zealous anemone rub. When I first put them together (anemones and clownfish) I left for a few days vacation and came back to a tentacle-less anemone. I'm convinced the clownfish was peeved without food for a days, was used to eating the anemone food, and ate the tentacles. All info I've read regarding this says it doesn't happen, but I don't know how else to explain it. The fish won't let anything else near the anemone. My clownfish are tank raised.

it's nice to have something fun to watch other the hermits scrambiling at feeding time most corals are beautiful but watching them grow is like watching paint dry.it's nice to have an animal with personality. I can't wait till the new tank is set up and ready to stock with pretty and interesting animals!