250W Phoenix 14K's vs 250W Ushio 14K's.

Hog Head

It's time for new bulbs. I was going to buy Ushio 14K's but then I read so many positive reviews about the Phoenix bulbs I am now leaning the other way. What is your opinion/preference? I have gotten good growth out of the Ushio 10K's but I am running out of room and I am ready to sacrifice a little growth for some color until the next tank upgrade.

Pheonix are the way to go. You get the best bang for your buck and the color is impresive. I was running the Ushio 10k and they were way too yellow for me. Great growth but the color was not even close to good enough for me.

But on my new tank I'm running mogul so can't do pheonix anyways...

With all the reviews I read and the few replies I got on here, I think I am going to try the Phoenix bulbs and stick with the Actinic+ for now. Later on if I want to mix some Pure Actinic in there I will. Thanks for the opinions and advice.

Ushio 14k are white with yellow tint in my experience, i tried them a few years back before i found phoenix bulbs. i run phoenix bulbs with no actinic supplements but i like the white with blue tint light they produce. i run them on icecap ballasts. they aren't very blue IMO. depending on what kind of ballast you run the color of the bulb might vary a little.

They run better on an electronic ballast. I had one of each and you could tell a difference in the colors

My tank is pretty much a mix of sps/lps and softies(mushrooms). Also' date=' I am running Blue Wave Ballasts.[/quote']

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I might change ballasts some day but I have only been running these for a year now. I want to get a little mileage out of them.

They run better on an electronic ballast. I had one of each and you could tell a difference in the colors

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Correct, 20k would give alot of blue and nice color but much slower growth. I ran 10k for about 14 months which gave alot of growth but alot of the colors were muted or washed out a little bit.

how come no 20k? is the higher the number the slower the growth but better color etc?