When you are away

grassi

When I am at home the ph of my tank it is in the 8.10-8.25 range, which is not bad.

I was away for 4 days and the ph went up to the perfect 8.20-8.40.

I'm not a fish guy, I have a few fish and I feed (starve) them with about 30ml of Elos pellets per day.

During my absence the fan in the tank room was off.

Every once in a while the friends that visit my tank room ask me how I can grow sps up to x inches per year and so on.

This ph swing tells you how much I like to feed my corals (whistle)

I always tell that I use Elos Pro Skimmer and Omega. This is true. Well part of the truth (naughty)

For some time I thought that sps could grow with light only!

When I am at home the ph of my tank it is in the 8.10-8.25 range, which is not bad.

I was away for 4 days and the ph went up to the perfect 8.20-8.40

When you where away, you are not breathing in your fish room - creating CO2, which is absorbed into your tank, thus dropping the pH. (Seriously, I have seen this many times at old reefer meetings at peoples homes when 10-12 people standing around a tank for an hour or two, the tank pH drops due to (often heavy) respiration)

I would be breathing heavy too... If I was staring at your corals (drooler)

When you where away, you are not breathing in your fish room - creating CO2, which is absorbed into your tank, thus dropping the pH. (Seriously, I have seen this many times at old reefer meetings at peoples homes when 10-12 people standing around a tank for an hour or two, the tank pH drops due to (often heavy) respiration)

That's funny you say that. I think the ph did drop the last meeting we hosted LOL! We also noticed after Jon installed the fan to ventilate outside the ph increased on our tanks. Reefnjunkie said this happened when he opened his house up in the summer.

That sounds like a reasonable explanation... I feel better except Grassi let's his fish starve. LOL!

I was running the skimmer air intake from outside the house, then I did the co2 test and the levels are good in the tank, even if you stay in the tank room all the day. The tank is in the basement and I don't spend much time there and the window is always a little bit open. As for air exchange my system is composed by 5 vessels, none of them has a hood or canopy of some sort.

In my case it is not related to carbon dioxide