fish dying

tonymarcus1117

Yesterday My Coral Beauty died and today one of my maroon clowns is acting strange he is sitting at the bottom of the tank moving but not swimming he appears to be dying My params are fine and just to be sure I brought a sample to the shop and yes my params are perfect. My other maroon, my niger trigger and my corals and inverts are healthy and happy not sure what the problem is system has been established for about 2 mos. the clowns were the first fish in the tank and up until now no problems

Not to bust your balls Tony, but 2 month's really isn't enough time to be adding that many fish...But that's not what you need right now.

Ok, first thing, get us full parameters of your water, then if you can, snap pics of the fish. Also, I recommend shooting a message to Barelycudy, he's the clownfish expert of the PACNW, as well as steelhead77 I believe it is, his name's Scott I think, sorry, I'm horrible with names. They're both fish experts and are awesome at diagnosing diseases. Second, you need to get ready, if need be, to set up a HT(Hospital Tank) so that you can start treating your fish.

It is very important that we get pics of your fish though, it's the only sure fire way to attempt a diagnosis.

We need your SG, temp, tank size, amount of rock, sump or no sump, full parameters on Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite and PH for starters, then if possible, a full stocklist, both corals(if any) as well as fish, which you have provided.

Sorry for your loss man, we'll figure this out though, no worries. With the wealth of knowlege on here, we can get ya fixed up in no time.

the tank is a 36 gal bowfront no sump hob skimmer and filter 40 lbs of rock temp is 78 ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are all undetectable don't have a ph test kit on hand but when I brought water to the shop was told ph was good too. as far as corals theres 2 small fox corals, 2 heads hammer coral, small frag starburst zoas and some polyps that were on one of the large rocks when we bought it not sure what kind they are inverts have some snails hermits and a zebra crab. I can't seem to get pics uploaded on here but the clown has no discoloration or anything visible on him no ich or spots of any kind.

We also need a complete list of fish(I think it was mentioned already).

When was each fish added to the tank?

Did the fish come from an LFS?

Are the clowns wild or tank raised? (You may need to ask the LFS)

What are you feeding them?

From what you have stated so far I suspect a fish incompatibility. In particular the small tank with the Niger Trigger may be causing it to be overly aggressive. (36g is pretty small for a trigger)

Also how big are the clowns? Are they the same size?

The only fish in it are the 2 clowns the niger trigger and a marbled blenny the clowns are tank raised both small the one thats having issues is the bigger one and he is only about 1 1/2- 2" the Niger trigger isnt much bigger than that feeding them the mix they make at OIAB. the clowns have been in the tank a little more than a month and the bleny and the trigger were added about a week ago.

Either the blenny or the trigger could be a problem. If the trigger is pretty small then I'm inclined to think it might be the blenny. Some of them can be pretty aggressive and a week is about long enough for one to stake out it's territory. I have 140g for mine and I still sometimes catch it swiping the other fish if they get around it.

I suspect a couple of problems. First, that is too many fish in a 2 month old system. and too many aggressive fish for a 36 gallon tank. A two month old system is not completely stable yet. So, slow down a little bit. It is easy to go fast in this hobby and in the long run, if you take it slow and easy, you will have much more success in the hobby and enjoy it a lot more too.

i am sorry about that. i myself looked in my QT system to see my new flame angel floating upside down. its a bummer. when i have a sick fish i usually give hollywood aquarium a call. besides the fact that the man has a doctorate in ichthyology, he also has about 40 years of experience with marine life. good luck!