Tang Help

batchelor

I have a 4" Desjardini Sailfin Tang thats been with me for almost 2 years now. He has recently lost his appetite and is looking real thin. He used to eat with such voracity but now shows little interest. He'll eat a couple pieces of mysis, a little pellet food but no longer shows any interest in the nori that I offer (does that stuff get stale?) Any Tang people out there have any advice?

Robert

I have a 4" Desjardini Sailfin Tang thats been with me for almost 2 years now. He has recently lost his appetite and is looking real thin. He used to eat with such voracity but now shows little interest. He'll eat a couple pieces of mysis, a little pellet food but no longer shows any interest in the nori that I offer (does that stuff get stale?) Any Tang people out there have any advice?

Robert

Not sure if you are going to make it up here anytime soon but the food that Robert (Reefit) makes is amazing. It's got all sorts of good stuff in it. We made some last summer and all of my fish eat it. They sell it at Ocean in a Box. You might want to PM him to see if he can give you some suggestions. He's owned all sorts of tangs as well.

Good luck. I've lost so many tangs that it's getting to become the norm..(sad)

Tangs, in nature, are constantly cruising for food. To be off the diet of nori is worrisome. I would try a wide variety of foods to try and spark an interest but also concentrate on nori based food. Good luck! Red Sea Tangs are wonderful fish!

I agree sounds like a parasite, i would definitley try using something natural like marinemax or chem marin stop parasite. both are all natural and reef safe.

Then I would also try soaking the nori in garlic extract to see if it will stimulate his feeding response.

Not sure how he would get a parasite, I haven't added anything new in quite some time but at this point I will not rule anything out. I'm going to hit my lfs tomorrow after work and will look for the marinmax and pick up some fresh nori and soak it in garlic. Thanks.

You can take a clove of garlic and blend it up along with a little water. (I add one or two cloves when I make up a batch of food) Then mix a little bit with whatever your feeding. Garlic just helps stimulate the feeding response so you will want to be sure to add a vitamin supplement and perhaps treat for parasites as well.

Robert

Get some Garlic Gaurd and start soaking your mysis and pellet food for 15 mins or so before feeding. Should help with appetite and health.

Not sure how he would get a parasite' date=' I haven't added anything new in quite some time but at this point I will not rule anything out. I'm going to hit my lfs tomorrow after work and will look for the marinmax and pick up some fresh nori and soak it in garlic. Thanks.[/quote']

I have used the marine max in the past! great stuff and would definatley recomend it.