Crushed coral in sump?

Drew

I would use live rock.

Crushed coral allows for very aerobic denitriting bacteria to build up well. It converts nitrite into nitrate but then that has to be dealt with by anerobic bacteria in either you live rock or deap sand bed. If you put live rock in there instead then you will get not only the aerobic bacteria but also the denatrating anaerobic bactera :)

The more live rock the better!

so while we're on the subject. Would rubble be too small' date=' rubble being pieces marble sized and bigger?[/quote']

It would be OK IMO if there were some larger pieces also. Because I am always stealing those small pieces to use for frags. I can't do that with the larger pieces. :)

I put a five pound container of refugium mud in my open fuge space in the sump. It is about 5 inch deep and claims to not only provide denitrification but also slowly leach essential minerals and trace elements into the system... We will see, the mangroves grow from it like weeds.