Retrofit Power Compact

J.R

I'm in need of some serious help finding a retrofit kit for power compact. What I am doing is I want to add some light to my 29 bio cube. My plan is to build a hood for it and put some PC lighting in it and use some actinic to suplement the 150w halide. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Hey man thats perfect!

Have you bought from them before?

It looks like they have exactly what I need. I was having a heck of a time finding a screw mount socket and I even work in the lighting industry!!

Why not use LEDs instead. I am in a process of changing my PC light on oceanic nano 14g! I calculated the two bulbs will cost me $40.00 ( and next yr I will have to change the bulbs again) so I decided to go the DIY LED route. 12 LEDS (3 w royal blue and 6 cool white) would be as bright as. 150w metal halide!

Led's are very nice and low power consumption but depending on the bulb type, the are very directional if thats the word. they normally just shine in 1 direction w/o a very good spread. but with the new Exotic Panaorama LED Lights, they fixed the spread so you get a larger spread on the led. if not, sunpaq had a 96w retrofit kit and also depending the route planned, there is a hagen retrofit dual t5 kit as well.

I used LEDs bought from bestHongkong.com about 3 yr ago (before Cree was selling) and these were mounted on star pcb with extremely good spread. here is the link to data sheet of the blue leds I had on my 90g as moon light (actually I am still using them).

http://www.besthongkong.com/files/1w_1LXS.pdf

The spatial radiation pattern is very broad all the way to 100 degs. I had only two LEDs that were enough to light up my entire 90g tank (48 inch).

Problem with T5/CF is the changing bulbs every yr and heat. Atleast in my nano (oceanic 14g) the entire system is enclosed and so it also produces a lot heat (even with the fan).

My choice would be LEDs > T5 > CF :)

Just my two cents here :)

by the way, I received my LEDs and driver from rapid LEDs yesterday so I'll try to put the LED panel build here on this forum!

I haven't purchased anything from them but I email them with questions all the time about PC lighting. They are quick to respond and are always helpful. Also, have you seen Steve's thread about the LED strips that he recently bought? They might be too wide or thick but they look awesome. Probably going to buy one of these someday, $99 shipped.

http://www.pnwmas.org/forums/showthread.php?25418-LED-Lighting&highlight=