Seriatopora (Birdsnest Coral) How many types are there?

ReefSafari

So I am currently on this Birdsnest kick, as that seems to be what I can keep the best, So I am finding myself filling my tank with different kinds of birdsnests, I was wondering there are two main kinds right? Seriatopora Hystrix (The pointy tips) and Seriatopora Guttatus (The more rounded tips)...those two are the main kinds right? Then there is also the Seriatopora caliendrum which seems to come in third...as the most commong...right?

Does anyone know of any good info on birdsnests and all the different kinds? It seems often times they get mislabeled as different things or lumped into just "Birdsnest"...I would love to learn as much as I can about them.

Feel free to post pics of your Birdsnests....I will snap pics of the ones I currently have and post them tonight.

That I know there are only the 3 that you mentioned.

They are great corals and one of my favorites.

You might find interesting that they have a weak allorecognition system when they are juvelile*. Allorecognition is the ability of an individual organism to distinguish its own tissues from those of another. That means that you can experiment some coral grafting techniques and create your own :)

If you are interested you will find this article interesting: http://www.int-res.com/articles/meps2005/286/m286p115.pdf

I collected some info and I did some experiments (not with seriatopora yet) in the past year and I could give you some tips

*it is not well known, but stony corals do have life stages too

That I know there are only the 3 that you mentioned.

They are great corals and one of my favorites.

You might find interesting that they have a weak allorecognition system when they are juvelile*. Allorecognition is the ability of an individual organism to distinguish its own tissues from those of another. That means that you can experiment some coral grafting techniques and create your own :)

If you are interested you will find this article interesting: http://www.int-res.com/articles/meps2005/286/m286p115.pdf

I collected some info and I did some experiments (not with seriatopora yet) in the past year and I could give you some tips

*it is not well known, but stony corals do have life stages too

Very Cool, I will have to check that out on my lunch break, Thanks! Thats really interesting info...

here is a list of 'common names' of different ones that ive had

birds of paradise

sour apple

pink

ponape

tubbs

Thanks....The Tubbs is alot like the Birds of paradise right? I hope to pickup some Ponape here soon, along with the Sour Apple...I just picked this up today, should be here friday, I am kinda freaked as this is the first time I have ordered Birdsnest online, but it seemed too cool to pass up, I haven't seen anything like it before, have you? Pink with Green tips?

lg-030711-008a.jpg

They call it a Seriatopora hystrix, but it doesn't have pointy tips, they seem more rounded....you really think its a Seriatopora hystrix?

Any advice as this is the first time I have gotten SPS from Live Aquaria, I am guessing this is a wild mini colony? anything special I should do? All the Birdsnest I have came from local hobbiests....it didn't really specify if this was Wild Caught, Maricultured, and I doubt its Aquacultured....so my initial guess was it was wild caught....Anything I should look for? or do? I just hope it makes it to me in one piece, and not all broken from shipping....but I haven't seen anything like it....so I took a chance...

nice one' date=' when you do get it in i would like a frag of it :)[/quote']

For Sure! I hope it arrives in one peice though, and not a bunch of broken frags....lol

Pretty cool one. I have some ponape we could trade for that if you want

Cool...Sounds good...I hope it does well...I will post pics of it when it comes in....Friday Night.

That's a very cool cool birdsnest, nice pick up. I've ordered from Liveaquaria before, albeit a while ago. The shipping and packaging is excellent. It will come in a big box in a bog bag with plenty of water.

What section of Diver's Den did you order it from? They have Aqua-cultured, Mari-cultured, and wild in different sections. This certainly isn't aqua-cultured, those are all frags. I would guess Mari-cultured.

Be sure to post pics after it arrives.

Any new coral I get goes though a 2-stage dip of Coral Rx or Revive, and interceptor. That should keep you pest free.

That's a very cool cool birdsnest, nice pick up. I've ordered from Liveaquaria before, albeit a while ago. The shipping and packaging is excellent. It will come in a big box in a bog bag with plenty of water.

What section of Diver's Den did you order it from? They have Aqua-cultured, Mari-cultured, and wild in different sections. This certainly isn't aqua-cultured, those are all frags. I would guess Mari-cultured.

Be sure to post pics after it arrives.

Any new coral I get goes though a 2-stage dip of Coral Rx or Revive, and interceptor. That should keep you pest free.

It was in the section just labeled "SPS" thats why I was thinking its wild...I have never purchased a wild coral before, so this is all new to me, what types of things should I be looking for? pest wise?

They claim that they medicate and treat all corals that come in, and then they quarantine them for a min of 2 weeks prior to offering them up for sale....

Wow Dave that is awesome. I call dibs on a frag when and if you do. Once I get my tank sorted out since I have lost almost all of my SPS.

How much did they charge for that beauty?

Sure No problem....it might take some time, as its not a very big colony, but as soon as I can get some frags for sure I will hook you up. It was honestly an impulse buy, I was bored and was just checking out pics of Birdsnests trying to find different kinds available...and stumbled across it. Normally I don't buy online, and have gotten all my SPS (birdsnests) from fellow hobbiests, like you! (You should see the frag I got from you, its doing great, I can hook you up with a frag of that soon too..lol) Anyway....It was $49.99 plus shipping $34.99= $84.98 for the 3" colony....I think thats the most I have ever spent on a coral...BUT...I have never seen a Birdsnest like it, so I think it was worth it....Pink with Green Tips!!! YEAH!!

Update, Arrived with only one little 1" branch broken, which is cool as I had thought about fragging one anyway as a backup just incase this thing starts into RTN. I think its a pretty cool peice, unique....I look forward to when it is in full polyp extension, and showing all its glory....

This is shortly after aclimation and placement in the tank...REALLY ****ed off..

P1010083.jpg

A few hours later, showing some good sign of polyps, looking better, I am looking forward to seeing it in a few days or weeks after its adjusted to the water parameters and lighting...Here's hoping for the best!

P1010088.jpg

P1010093.jpg