Refugium Question

CrazyInside

So I want to setup a small display fuge next to my main tank. The tank is a 125. I want to do a standard 29 gallon next to it. Just wondering If I should have it drain back into the sump or set the tank up higher then the main and drain it into that?

But requires you to pump the water to it if it is higher. I guess then it could gravity feed your DT and would essentially be the same amount of effort/power.

It is not an electricity efficiency issue. It is because if you drain from the fuge to the display you will have free live food and you will be able to keep some nice kind of fish, like dragonets. If the product of the fuge goes through a return pump you are losing most of its advantage as food source

I don't use a refugium, I just grow some cheato for nutrient export in my sump. But with 100g sump and a big low rpm pump I see a lot of pods in my tanks.

Having the refugium upstream is the best solution, but for sure not the easiest to implement

You will get a bunch of pods and other good critters in the fuge' date=' so if you can have it drain into your display that would be best. This avoids them having to go thru a pump to get to the display.[/quote']

+1 on this. I would do it if that was my intention to setup a DR.

I agree higher is better but I dont know how MUCH better it is...while the microfauna doesnt have to travel through a pump, I still kinda feel a minimal amount travels to the surface to be swept up into the overflow so I am still an advocate of harvesting chaeto or ogo and shaking it into the main tank every few months.

My fuge is under my tank' date=' but is not used as food source. Mine is used to keep my nitrates down and the plants take out the extra CO2 from my calcium reactor. When the plants start to over grow the fuge, I feed a bunch to my tangs to thin it out..[/quote']

same as what I do...somehow food still makes it...I love the nutrient circle!