External or submersible return pump??

jennmac415

External or submersible return pump??  

1. 1.

• external
    • submersible

for now, just a return pump... but who knows later down the line...may T it off for other equipment

This line right here makes me vote for a external. Because you can plumb it for future exspansion during the intial set-up.

But I have always used internal pumps myself. But I have thought about the same thing many times.

soooo....... does that mean you think an external pump would be a GOOD choice for my tank???

If your directing that question to me, then yes....I should have voted for External, but take my opinion with a grain of salt, as I don't have a big tank nor have an external pump, further more I have never used an External pump, BUT....if I did have a big tank and wanted to move larger volume of water, I do think I would be looking for an External pump....I clicked to vote prior to reading the whole thread, after reading it was for a 120 gallon, I thought..."hmmm...Yeah I should have voted External"....lol

I think most people who have larger tanks and are looking to move larger volumes of water (especially for SPS) seem to go the external pump route...but thats just my observation....

You could go either way. On my 180 I have an internal for my return and I have an external that pumps my chiller. Externals have the advantage of keeping all the heat that pumps generate out of the water. They also don't clutter up your sump and get crud growing all over them. Plus it's easier to "T" off of an external if you want to run other items from one pump. There's two reasons to go internal: Cabinet space and ease of use. Probably the main reason people go internal is because it's easier - just drop it in the water and hook up the return. You will need to drill your sump and install a bulkhead and valve to run external. A little more complicated, but worth it, IMO, to keep the heat out. It's really a matter of personal preference. If you have room in your cabinet and can get a good deal on an external and have no problem drilling your sump and plumb it, go that way. Otherwise stick to an internal.

Jenni I hate to hijack, but after talking to a few people and doing a bit of research, I'm willing to consider an external pump myself LOL.

So what would you guys suggest for myself: 3 tanks plumbed into 1 sump, a 40b DT a 30b frag tank an a 15.5g species/planted tank housing a pair of maroons, all plumbed into a 55g sump....It's got to be quiet as hell, and both the DT an frag tank will have split returns....

Thanks everyone for all of your help! I really appreciate it! I always know I can count on all of you!(clap) I decided to go external and purchased tonight the gen x external pump that MarkBirkett had for sale....so onward I go in my never-ending journey to gain knowledge and know-how about our wonderful OBSESSION!!!!(nutty)