Reef Octopus

racefan

I have the Reef Octopus NWB110 and I have been happy with it, as far as how quite it is, it seems everyone is different when it comes to level of noise, I think I am imune to noise and virtually nothing bothers me, I would consider it quite, Between the fans from the halides, the overflow the MP10 and the return pump, I personally can't single out the noise from just the protien skimmer. I would consider it quite, but I know there are people who desire as quite as possible, I wouldn't say its dead silent, but to me its not noisey. I chose it as it seemed to get good reviews on different forums and online, its rated for up to 100g's and it was a good price, so I went with it, and I have been happy with it. I am using it on my 40b as well.....I am sure there are better ones out there, but after researching as many of them as I could, and having trouble choosing, I just went with it for the reasons I mentioned, good reviews and reasonably priced.

I've had the NWB on my 60G for over a year. Very quiet in my opinion, and works very well. I just upgraded (just because) to an Aquamaxx 150, which is 6" dia with a much better pump. I modified my Octopus with newer pinwheel (which now comes standard) and cut down the inner tube above the bubble plate. It didn't fill the chamber with bubbles the way my new one does, but it pulled out incredibly stinky stuff and worked a ton better than my old Reef Devil. I've got my 60 way overloaded by most reefer's standards, so I decided to go bigger. Wanna buy my old one?

That's the one I'm looking at. The problem with trying to research is I've been sitting & reading the better part of the day & all that does is get me even more confused.(laugh) Seem one person loves something while another thinks it's the incarnation of the Devil.

I hear ya, for me it came down to ease of use and price, I wanted something that was pretty much a plug and play, something that would do the job and not hurt my wallet too much, There are skimmers out there that might be a little cheaper, and virtually do the same thing, and I know there are better skimmers on the market, I personally wasn't looking for "The Best" skimmer I could by (I know that sounds stupid)....I was looking for a decent skimmer that would pull out good skimmate for a good price, and I think I found it.

I know there are better skimmers out there, and you might pay a little more for it, but many of the negative things I read about this particular model where on the older version, the one without the red gate valve control, the old style had the pull tube style as the adjuster, the new gate valve allows you to fine tune it much easier, and my previous limited expereince with protien skimmers was with an Eshopps HOB that had the same pull tube style, and it seemed much harder to keep dailed in. I have found it much easer to make smaller adjustments with the gate valve.

With my newness to the hobby I really didn't have a whole lot of experience with what to look for and what is good or bad, This has been my first INsump protien skimmer, so take my opinion with a grain of salt...lol

My exprience with it has been a good one, I don't find it too loud, it pulls out some nice skimmate and it was a good price, it was easy to put together, and get up and running and seems pretty easy to dail in, so from my experience its a decent skimmer.

Hopefully someone with some previous expereince with skimmers this size can chime in, and maybe mention what to look for and what to stay away from....

You know what they say "opinions are like armpits,everybody has one & they all stink" (laugh) The UPS tracking number says it will be here by the end of the day Friday. If I beat the UPS man here I pitty the dude. I'll be like a big ole slobbery dog running at him! jumping up & down(clap)(clap)(clap)

I have the Reef Octopus NWB110 and I have been happy with it' date=' as far as how quite it is, it seems everyone is different when it comes to level of noise, I think I am imune to noise and virtually nothing bothers me, I would consider it quite, Between the fans from the halides, the overflow the MP10 and the return pump, I personally can't single out the noise from just the protien skimmer. I would consider it quite, but I know there are people who desire as quite as possible, I wouldn't say its dead silent, but to me its not noisey. I chose it as it seemed to get good reviews on different forums and online, its rated for up to 100g's and it was a good price, so I went with it, and I have been happy with it. I am using it on my 40b as well.....I am sure there are better ones out there, but after researching as many of them as I could, and having trouble choosing, I just went with it for the reasons I mentioned, good reviews and reasonably priced.[/quote']

I also have this same skimmer and it works very well. It was easy to set up and the gate valve makes dialing it in simple too. As far as noise, it is pretty quiet IMO. Good luck!

You know what they say "opinions are like armpits' date='everybody has one & they all stink" (laugh) The UPS tracking number says it will be here by the end of the day Friday. If I beat the UPS man here I pitty the dude. I'll be like a big ole slobbery dog running at him! jumping up & down(clap)(clap)(clap)[/quote']

Sooo?.....You get it yet? Is it up and running? What are you initial thoughts on it? I would love to hear your opinion on weither or not you like it or not...

Sooo?.....You get it yet? Is it up and running? What are you initial thoughts on it? I would love to hear your opinion on weither or not you like it or not...

It was supposed to get here Friday BUT UPS claimed "Adverse conditions" & it was Monday at 6:30PM! well I get up at butt crack dawn early(2:30/3:00am) for work so I left it for Tuesday after work since I had to make a stand to raise it up in the water. I just got it hooked up & running a little while ago, So far I like it. I cannot hear a sound out of it except for maybe a slight splashing sound from the water returning out of the gate valve.But then again the valve is open all the way during break in so it's letting a lot of water return. I think I'm going to like it.(clap)(clap)