Which MH DE Bulb To Choose?

JonBoy

So I have 2 lumen max fixtures with DE bulbs over my 120 and its time to replace one of them. So I currently am running a Phoenix 14K and an Ushio 20K with VHO also. I want a bulb that has more blue than the ushio, anybody on here have more experience with DE bulbs?

The Phoenix 14k are nice, but they are not blue enough for me, with maybe suplimental actinics maybe. I just got mine fairly recently, so I will use them up but I will be trying something different next go around. I was thinking about trying the XM 20k's but I have heard rumors that they tend to fizzle out early like you might need to change them in 6 months....

I will be following this thread to see what people say....as I too would like a bluer DE bulb...more blue than the Phoenix 14k..

I was wondering about maybe a radium or elos? The phoenix arent enough blue im running one and the ushio is more blue but was hoping that someone may know of something better.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Your setup is a 250w right? I don't think Radium makes a 250w DE...People really seem to like the SE Radiums though, I think they are the bluest of them all. I really havn't read much about the Elos though....

Just read about Aquamaxx and Hamilton they sound promising' date=' anyone use these? Im starting to lose hope and just buy another Phoenix, especially since their on sale right now at marine depot.[/quote']

I haven't read anything about the Aquamaxx but I did run across this on the Hamilton....it seems to burn a little more purple than Blue, I don't know what all the other components are ie. Ballasts, ect....but here is a pic I found

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=8552744#post8552744

Hamilton 250w DE on the left (More Purple) and Phoenix on the right (More Blue)

hammyandphoenixrg2.jpg

But after looking, they might be compairing 14k bulbs, and not a 14k to a 20K....I don't know if Hamilton makes a 20k Bulb...just 10k and 14k, at least in the 250w DE's.....I don't know why many companies don't make a wider variety of bulbs for the 250w DE?.....I know Hamilton makes a 20k in the 150w...but not the 250w....same with the Radiums...they have a 150w but not the 250w....weird..

The bluest double ended or single ended bulb i have come across and really like are the radiums. I run two 250w se radiums over my chalice tank. The colors really pop without having to use actinics

The only bummer part is I don't think Radium makes a 250w DE bulb.....I don't know why they don't as it seems to be a popular bulb and and many people use 250w DE....you would think they would make a killing if they offered that type. I know a dozen people right now that would probably buy several of them, including myself...lol

The bluest double ended or single ended bulb i have come across and really like are the radiums. I run two 250w se radiums over my chalice tank. The colors really pop without having to use actinics

OIAB can get the 250W DE radiums. IDK what colors they have but Im going to be getting a 20K just like they run in the shop. They one SE but my fixture is DE.

From my quick search, I am seeing Blue Life SPS 20K have been discontinued, which is a bummer as that was the next bulb I was going to try....It seem like the options for 250w DE bulbs is slowly dwindling down to a few options....LED's here we come I guess...as I don't care for T5 lighting...

You can go extreme and get the Giesemann 22k "Megachrome Blue".....at over $100 a pop....I havn't seen anyone give a review on them, but they are supposed to be the closest thing to a Radium bulb on the market as far as 250w DE bulbs go....I am guessing they are pretty blue...which translates to probably hardley any growth...lol, but that might be ok, I can deal with slow growth as long as it looks pretty....LOL

http://www.giesemann.de/75,2,,.html