Coral-eating monster???

Gilliroo

Thanks for all of the suggestions about my cyano problem. I've continued to monitor tank conditions, and everything seems pretty stable and normal. And after a big tank clean-up, the cyano problem seems to be pretty mild, actually. Just a couple of small pinkish spots (silver dollar sized) that appear and disappear with the light cycle.

Sooooo...I'm starting to wonder if it's not tank conditions that is making stuff in my tank disappear. Like I said, the zoas are fat and happy. The ricordia and other mushrooms are doing well. The acans look like they're rebounding. The cyphastrea looks stable. Torches holding steady. But stuff keeps on disappearing. Is there some sort of coral-eating monster living in my tank??

For instance, I have (had) a cool branching frogspawn that had nine heads. One by one, they have disappeared. Yesterday I had two left, fat and happy and fully extended. Today there is one lonely branch still looking fat and happy. It's neighbor is totally gone- nothing but skeleton. There's nothing nearby that could be stinging it. Could I have some sort of giant worm or crab in there that is devouring corals while I sleep?

The fish in the tank include a yellow tang and a blue tang, an algae blenny, an engineer goby, a blue damsel, two false percs, and a pseudochromis.

For inverts, I have a bunch of hermits and mixed snails, three emeralds (at last count), two cleaner shrimp, two peppermint shrimp, an orange spotted star and a purple spotted star (both reef safe according to Nick at Rose City), and a large striped brittle star that was in another tank of ours with no trouble.

Could there be something else lurking in there? I can't think of what else would make a healthy-looking coral vanish overnight.

Thanks for the ideas!

Gillian

No, that's the weird thing- the skeleton is totally clean. Just bare skeleton. I've seen that brown and stringy thing before, and that's definitely not going on.

The other corals that I've lost have been candy canes, and really hardy ones at that. We've had them in other tanks for about a year and they've grown like crazy. They're all just skeletons now, and I noticed a couple of tiny remnants of the fleshy tissue had settled onto the bottom of the tank when I cleaned it out. It was like something ripped them apart.

Gillian

Ok' date=' now I am getting a little creeped out. I had a couple of small fish disappear without a trace a few weeks ago. Could the monster have eaten them??[/quote']

Well Frank had a picture of this huge bristle worm that was hiding in his rock when he did a tank move. He thinks that was what was eating his ricordias.

Sure sounds like you got something coming out at night and doing its "Dirty Deed's Done Cheep". I would start looking at the tank at night every couple hours with red or really low light.

What I have done is put my fist around a small flashlight and just let a little light through so as not to scare the evil thing.

Shoot a message to Steve Weast, he did an article a while back about a giant euclid he pulled out of someone's tank, [language filter] thing had to be 6' long at least, or so itloooked, it was friggin huge though. They'll eat anything from what I understand, including fish and corals, so yeah, it's very likely that's what's eating your corals and making your fish disappear.

Ew. Sounds like the stuff on nightmares. Should I keep the cat away from the tank at night, lest she get swept in by a long tentacle?

So.. If I do see an evil meanie in there at 4 am, how do I catch it? I mean, after I stop hyperventilating and shrieking?

Gillian

The only easy way to catch them is to stick your hand in the tank and let it latch on to you. It only hurts for a few seconds...(laugh)

I would say tweezers but you need to make sure you grab the whole thing otherwise you may create two monsters.

Ew. Sounds like the stuff on nightmares. Should I keep the cat away from the tank at night, lest she get swept in by a long tentacle?

So.. If I do see an evil meanie in there at 4 am, how do I catch it? I mean, after I stop hyperventilating and shrieking?

Gillian

rofl C'mon Gillian you're giving us ladies a bad reputation. There's no shrieking allowed in the saltwater hobby..(nono) Unless of course you're out of town and your salinity drops and your basement floods...DOH!

If it's truly what it is, good luck catching it.

If I recall you got the live rock from another tank? So if that's the case it's very possible.

The only easy way to catch them is to stick your hand in the tank and let it latch on to you. It only hurts for a few seconds...(laugh)

I would say tweezers but you need to make sure you grab the whole thing otherwise you may create two monsters.

Anyone want a 90G really cheap? LOL

See Gillian! They are easy to catch! LMAO! No need to break down your tank or sell it! Just stick your hand in there and close your eyes!

Kim' date=' I disagree- shrieking is totally warranted in a situation like this. I am very brave about spiders, big scary dogs, and childbirth. Nocturnal, fish and coral-eating worms that are longer than I am tall? Aiiiyyyeeeeeee![/quote']

rofl You're killing me! Shrieking allowed with childbirth!!! Shrieking not allowed with bristle worms LOL! Just imagine it is really an engineer goby or a snowflake eel!