Found an eel in my tank..oh yeah

reefcam

My son asked me if I bought a snowflake eel for my tank. Ummm.. no son, I have many small fishes (i.e. mandarin, anthias, etc.), Fire shrimp, hermit crabs and other inverts. Why would I buy an eel for my tank... so I went to take a look and sure enough, a snowflake eel is swimming around in the tank. He's about 6" long and about the size of a #2 pencil. I remember catching one and bring one home from Maui when I was there last August. But didn't see if after the end of August.

So what are the chances the eel could survive a recirc pump (Dolphin 4000), since that's the only way it can get into the main tank from the holding tank that I had a snowflake and a spotted white mouth quarantine... well permanent home for now. And do Snowflake eels grow fast? The one I caught from Maui was about 4" long. Now the snowflake is twice the size of the white mouth eel.

Snowflake eels grow very fast! I actually have one in the reef tank and he has been a model citizen. He doesn't eat the shrimp and leaves the other fish alone. I think it's probably because I have had him since he was a tiny little baby eel and he only knows that food comes in tongs. He was nose to nose with a fireshrimp that tried to clean him and he left it alone.

Just a little heads up, i'd watch what you say about catching wild animals, i dont know the laws, but i know its a touchy subject.

Cool find!

HI laws says you can catch fish (i.e. fish, eels, hermits, etc) for personal use, but not for resale. Given the low number, I felt comfortable. I was actually challenged by TSA, but given I read the Fish and Wild Life laws there, they let me go. But had to check my stuff in due to the fluid regulation. But you cannot take live rocks, algae that are holdfast, and corals. :) So I brought home eels. :)

Mike, if he's cool with his friends in the tank, I'll keep him.. If he is indeed the one I caught, then he's been perfect.. so far. But do agree I should take him out soon.

dee77, for now, he's a permanent fixture. But someday I'll have to setup another tank for the white mouth eel and will put them both together. I was a Rose City a couple of weekends ago and he was watching a snowflake and white mouth for another reefer.

HI laws says you can catch fish (i.e. fish' date=' eels, hermits, etc) for personal use, but not for resale. Given the low number, I felt comfortable. I was actually challenged by TSA, but given I read the Fish and Wild Life laws there, they let me go. But had to check my stuff in due to the fluid regulation. But you cannot take live rocks, algae that are holdfast, and corals. :) So I brought home eels. :)[/quote']

Definatley dont want to take any of the lava rock home! BAD medicine my friend! All the volcanic rock stays with the island! :)