How To Kill Rock

Gabe

Thanks, I have a bunch of rock that has been in the sump for a while. With that I will be killing maybe 20% or less.

Shane addressed another concern I have. I want to remove about an inch of sand bed also. I was thinking of sucking it out running a siphon through 100micron filter sock to catch the sand. Any advice on that. Maybe doing a litttle at a time. Letting everything settle for a few days before taking out more.

Thanks again.

What is the best way to kill nuisance algae on rocks? (bubble algae, calcifying tufts, etc.)

I know you can dry it, but I need it quick. What about boiling or baking? Anybody have any experience with this?

Thanks Gabe

Gabe - One of my favorite stories here:

I had a customer that had an infestation of aptasia and valonia with a sprinkling of hair algae. This person put their LR through the dishwasher (on hot) to kill off everything- which it did very well. The coraline algae came back with 6 weeks, and the tank looked great there after.

To be perfectly clear, I DO NOT RECOMMEND this course of action on your LR.... Just sharing :)

Other option is to cook it. No! I don't mean really cook it :) but it's a process in which you place the rock in saltwater with a powerhead and cover it completely. It container should be completely dark! Change water every two to three days and In two to three weeks you will have live rock rich in bacteria but everything else will be dead. I have done it in past with a lot of success.

Here is the link for a RC thread.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=437342

Look it up on google and you will find several links describing this process of regenerating your old rock.

I picked up a few pieces from someone on this site last year. When I got it home I found it had a bunch of mojanos on it. The outside temperature during the next 24 hours was down into the 20's, so I decided to experiment with it - I pulled it out of the water, wrapped it in a plastic bag, and let it sit on my porch for a day. The next day, I took the frozen rock out of the bag and placed it directly back into my tank. Since this was a new setup, I wasn't worried about the water temp dropping. The next time I saw those mojanos, they were shriveled up, fell off the rock, and more or less disappeared. Never seen another one since.

I was hoping that the beneficial bacteria could survive the deep freeze.