Fish Fighting With Reflection

Mitchell

I have had my melanurus wrasse for a few weeks now and he has been awesome. Two days ago I did a water change and cleaned the glass like I do every week. I also replaced my carbon and gfo. Ever since then my wrasse has been fighting with his reflection non stop. He just swims back and forth next to the front glass with his fins flared out and every 10 seconds or so he will attack his reflection which blasts sand all over my coral. He doesn't even eat, he is too busy with his reflection. Why did he all of a sudden start this and is there anything I can do to stop it?

He probably didn't notice his refection before. At least you know what happened if you put another melanarus in there. Just cover the side (towel, paper, etc) so it is not reflecting anymore for a few days and see if he forgets about it.

What kind of fish is that in your avatar by the way?

I don't really want to cover the tank, because then I can't see in. Will he ever get used to his reflection, or will he always fight with it.

I don't really want to cover the tank' date=' because then I can't see in. Will he ever get used to his reflection, or will he always fight with it.[/quote']

I just meant cover the side where he is looking at his reflection. Some fish get used to it other's don't. I had a huma that would swim back and forth on one side of the tank admiring his "friend" (laugh)

From what I understand talking to a few people I know who have em, you can successfully keep Leonard's in a reef tank, but the temp needs to stay under 76, and it's a very very long acclimation process...My one buddy it took him 6 months before he put his Leonards in his reef tank, but a year an a half later, it's still happy as can be an fat as hell.