Star Fish?

jonas

Looks like an asterina starfish. They are safe. There is a similar type that can eat coral and we have one that has been eating our montis (flame)which is why we have a Harlequin shrimp in our tank now. I have been told there is a way to tell the difference like one is a grayer color or the mouth is dark. Yours looks like the safe kind. Hopefully one of our asterina starfish experts will chime in.

I'm no expert, buy my experience is the same as Emerald's. Her harlequin came from my tank. (laugh)

I used to have some, then a bunch. When my RO went bad and I didn't replace it they re-populated in epic proportions. Then the little asterina starfish started eating my zoanthids. (flame)(flame) I have seen a few in my new tank, but haven't worried too much as they have been on the glass. I have seen some monster ones though that I've picked out.

There may be 2 types, one that eats things and one that doesn't, but I have not herd anything good about ether one, they are like aptasia, and multiply like mad, I to thought them to be kinda cute when I first encountered them, but then there was 2, then 10, then 40, then all over. I too got a Harlequin to get them under control, and ever since, every one I see finds it's way to the ocean via the toilet.

Bout a year ago I was starting to get a population increase on these guys...went from seeing one once a week to being able to glance at the tank and find 3 or 4. I had forgotten all about it cuz now they are gone. I didn't add anything to the tank to deal with them...they just disappeared. I got a boat load of mini brittle stars now though...every time I move a frag or something 1-3 of them go scooting off the bottom.

I had to get a Harlequin to rid my 55 of them. They were everywhere, and finaly decided to start eating the zoas.(flame) When I upgraded to the 120 in September I gave the shrimp away to free my red brittle star from the sump.(clap) They are now starting to reappear.(flame) I try to pic them off as I see them. My lobo, candycane, acan, fungia, etc. seem to enjoy the live treat!(enforcer)

Gabe