Scuttus Feeding on Corals?

Piero

Why you Mother Scuttus!

I think I just caught my Scuttus eating a blasto. Something was...and they are pretty much alone as far as I can tell. Very odd. Just a possible heads-up. I have a family (one large, one med, one small) that I've been trying to get to multiply, but now they just became insurgents I think. moved all but one blasto to another tank and will see who it is hopefully tonight.

• 3 weeks later...

ok every other week something takes a bite out of my blasto patch.

Scutus is still very suspect. I removed all urchins. Removed all but one blasto polyp from that tank... so, I just opened the door (middle of night for the tank) and guess who is right on top of my blasto?

still wondering if it's a worm or something else and the scuttus is just showing up afterwards, but interesting how he's always right there practically on top of the damaged area....chances of it being cooincidence is shrinking. :)

could just be a starvation reaction..I don;t feed the prop system much at all...but idunno....:(

caught them again! 95% sure now...and this time on the merletti! - I suppose because I removed the wellsi patch.

So I saw the largest scuttus on top of a merleti frag while the lights were off. The next day that frag had two polyps pure white like the flesh was slurped off of them, exactly where the mouth-part of the scuttus was when i saw him......feeding. go figure, bizarre. remember this is a frag tank...not many places for somethig to hide, and I removed all urchins etc.

Scutus feed during the night, if you seem them roaming for food during the day that means they are desperate for food from what I have observed, yours may be different. "IF" thats the case you may want to feed a little more, or find a way to get more food to them, or simply remove them. Just FYI

nope, this is natural nocturnal feeding behavior and I'm definitely catching them in the act. I open the closet door mid-way through the night cycle and surprise them witha mag light. I have three.

I'm not seeing any evidence to indicate anyone else could be responsible. In fact i've caught these Scuttus with mouths on the damaged tissue areas multiple times now...bizarre i know, but callin' it like I see it. Scuttus is the only thing in that prop tank with those blastos. bastages!

I have both as well, in my case they do fine, maybe they got a taste, if so, get them out. Simple as that, I don't consider scutus a big cleaner but more a extra neat live thing in my tank, so pulling it would not be a big deal. I have 7 large ones and babies lingering around the larges are anywhere from 1.5" to 2"... my advice, get it out.

• 5 months later...