Ordered my first clam!! (pics)

Bigjohnwoody

Nice setup, I also have a clam in the almost exact setup. I would place him on the right side where the two large rocks on the sand meet the bigger rock toward the top (so the middle of the tank). If he is too little to fit their go get a rock from the LFS that will cradle him a little and work for that area.

How do you like the two mp40's? Is it too much for the 120 or perfect?

Nice setup, I also have a clam in the almost exact setup. I would place him on the right side where the two large rocks on the sand meet the bigger rock toward the top (so the middle of the tank). If he is too little to fit their go get a rock from the LFS that will cradle him a little and work for that area.

How do you like the two mp40's? Is it too much for the 120 or perfect?

Thanks for the setup comment I put a lot of work into it. I think the 2 mp40's are perfect you can always tone them down some and then really crank them up later when the tank is heavily stocked. Is there such thing as 2 much flow? Haha! So I do have some dry base rock that I could chisel and form perfectly for the clam would that work? Or would you place it on a seeded piece of rock?

Are you talking like setting that rock on top of the other rock on the right side or just on the sand? Also front or back right side corner? Also why out of curiosity?

Clams are jumpers if there not happy. lol ive seen them tumble from the top down if not cradeld somehow. A neet trick is to make them a cradle out of epoxy and rubble. just form them alittle taco that will fit up there on those rocks that it can set its foot down in and let it harden. Its easier to make one when you have the clam there so you can see the shape and size to make.

Seeded rock is ok. I placed mine on a rock that cradles it just a little and he seems to love it. Also if I need to move him for some reason I don't have to move a boulder.

Clams are jumpers if there not happy. lol ive seen them tumble from the top down if not cradeld somehow. A neet trick is to make them a cradle out of epoxy and rubble. just form them alittle taco that will fit up there on those rocks that it can set its foot down in and let it harden. Its easier to make one when you have the clam there so you can see the shape and size to make.

Ok great guys thanks I will get the clam a rock to cradle in and then be able to move it if need be plus it sounds like it will like the cradle. So should the rock be big enough for him to grow into or does a small say 3 inch rock work for it's lifetime? Or should I get a bigger rock like 6-8 inches or even bigger?

Ok great guys thanks I will get the clam a rock to cradle in and then be able to move it if need be plus it sounds like it will like the cradle. So should the rock be big enough for him to grow into or does a small say 3 inch rock work for it's lifetime? Or should I get a bigger rock like 6-8 inches or even bigger?

If you are planing on on making a "clam taco" make sure it wont restrict the clam from opening. I just put my clam on the sand and its doing fine.

Also when you get your clam, roll it around under the water a little to "burp it" and allow any air that may be captured in the clam to be released.

• Like 1

Ok I have a rock in mind that I did a little work on tell me what you think. Also I have read a lot of people feed them phyto while putting them in a small cup or something and feeding them there rather than feeding the whole tank phyto which can add to nutrient problems. So I figure I can do this as well by hoping he grabs onto this rock. He is under 2 inches so I figure I need to spot feed him from what I have read although some people still say it is unnecessary. So the jury is still out on this for sure but I have phyto coming so I am prepared. Here are the pics of the rock!!

attachment.php?attachmentid=10719&d=1297354465

attachment.php?attachmentid=10720&d=1297354477

Ok I have a rock in mind that I did a little work on tell me what you think. Also I have read a lot of people feed them phyto while putting them in a small cup or something and feeding them there rather than feeding the whole tank phyto which can add to nutrient problems. So I figure I can do this as well by hoping he grabs onto this rock. He is under 2 inches so I figure I need to spot feed him from what I have read although some people still say it is unnecessary. So the jury is still out on this for sure but I have phyto coming so I am prepared. Here are the pics of the rock!!

You do not want to feed him in a bowl with concentrated phyto, this could kill the clam. Clams filter things out of the water with their gills and too much food can clog the gills up stopping the clam from getting oxygen. Even target feeding the clam in the tank is a risk. Just feed the whole tank phyto and your clam will get some.

But you really don't need to feed it at all. Check out this article. http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/7/inverts

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I agree with Mitchell.

My suggestions (because you asked): I see that you are doing really well with your tank as general husbandry. Keep your water as it is, stable. Test frequently but wait before to act (dosing). Give the clam some days to adjust (don't start moving it around: he/she will move a little to find the perfect spot).

The clam is small and they die often at that size. Also big clams do die for no reason. I just lost a couple that I had in my tank for almost 2 years. It happens, don't give up.

Unoffical member of the clam police!

Not trying to be the clam police but how old is your tank?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

That sounds like a sweet gig! How does one become the clam police!(laugh)

I agree with Mitchell.

My suggestions (because you asked): I see that you are doing really well with your tank as general husbandry. Keep your water as it is, stable. Test frequently but wait before to act (dosing). Give the clam some days to adjust (don't start moving it around: he/she will move a little to find the perfect spot).

The clam is small and they die often at that size. Also big clams do die for no reason. I just lost a couple that I had in my tank for almost 2 years. It happens, don't give up.

+1 on this advice, Grassi has had lots of experience with clams. I agree the small ones are not very hardy. We lost our little baby one for no reason but the big maxima we got from Tim is doing awesome. Good luck John. I also have read not to target feed for the reasons mentioned earlier

Very frustrated right now!!!! Just got word that my package was delayed in Memphis due to weather and it will not be here today. So now my clam will be two days in a box. Liveaquaria stated that they most likely will not refund my shipping but they will look into it depending on the circumstances tomorrow. So now I have to take time off from work tomorrow to acclimate a clam that is probably dead! They said they will refund the money on the clam itself. So basically if they do not refund my shipping money then to have another clam reshipped would be like 70 bucks total!!! Not worth it on a 80 dollar clam. So as far as my first mail order not a good experience at all!! Just makes me sick to think of it sitting there dying in a friggin box!! I know its out of my hands and no need to fret over it but I am just really mad for some reason about the whole thing.

Oh that's sad. I understand why you are upset. You have a beautiful clam that is probably going to die but don't give up hope. It could still make it. I have heard of people who have had 2 days delay and things still lived. If it does then it's probably a pretty tough little clam and will do well.

Good luck...

Signed the clam police ;)

Very frustrated right now!!!! Just got word that my package was delayed in Memphis due to weather and it will not be here today. So now my clam will be two days in a box. Liveaquaria stated that they most likely will not refund my shipping but they will look into it depending on the circumstances tomorrow. So now I have to take time off from work tomorrow to acclimate a clam that is probably dead! They said they will refund the money on the clam itself. So basically if they do not refund my shipping money then to have another clam reshipped would be like 70 bucks total!!! Not worth it on a 80 dollar clam. So as far as my first mail order not a good experience at all!! Just makes me sick to think of it sitting there dying in a friggin box!! I know its out of my hands and no need to fret over it but I am just really mad for some reason about the whole thing.

Don't lose hope. I ordered my clam online and it was in a box for over a day and a half and was fine. I thought for sure it was dead because its bag had leaked and the most of the clam was out of water, but the minute I put it into my tank it woke up and was fine. I really think your clam will be ok.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

That does suck.

+1 for all of our local LFS who carry beautiful clams at good prices(SWF, Westside, Seahorse, Upscales, Garrett, etc). Shipping can be extremely stressful for clams.

I was at saltwater fantaseas one day and he opened up a bag of clams that was delayed one day, sprung a leak, and been exposed to a prolonged period of freezing cold. out of the 12 clams in the bag, I think 1 made it. It was a shame...a stinky shame.

Kim, clam police are always enrolling new members.

CLam police watch out!

That does suck.

+1 for all of our local LFS who carry beautiful clams at good prices(SWF, Westside, Seahorse, Upscales, Garrett, etc). Shipping can be extremely stressful for clams.

I was at saltwater fantaseas and he opened up a bag of clams that was delayed one day, and had sprung a leak. out of the 12 clams in the bag, I think 1 made it. It was a shame...a stinky shame.

Kim, clam police are always enrolling new members.

Isaac it's official! I am now a member of the clam police!(clap) Clam violations will no longer be approved!(nono)

I put a hold on it and picked it up today at 10;30 which was when the truck came in. I figured it would be better that way then having to wait for it to come on the truck. The bag felt very cold and it looks like there is flappy white flesh hanging from the shell. Also there is all types of stuff floating in the water. Floating in my sump now and will begin drip acclimation in about 5 mins. Pictures to come.