what is this stuff

bobkat330

I've got the green kind and yeah, it looks like bubble algae. It's a real pain. I've been poppin/breaking them everytime I do water changes, but they grow so fast. I've been told emerald crabs eat it but they never seem to make a dent in it. I'll be listening to here if anyone has any suggestions for us.

dont pop them, just pull them out with water changes. Might need to increase your wc schedule too. The best way to rid yourself of them is manual removal (not breaking) and running gfo. Emerald crabs do eat them but only after they eat the other stuff they like. Fox Face also eats them. Popping them just releases all the spores creating more algae.

dont pop them' date=' just pull them out with water changes. Might need to increase your wc schedule too. The best way to rid yourself of them is manual removal (not breaking) and running gfo. Emerald crabs do eat them but only after they eat the other stuff they like. Fox Face also eats them. Popping them just releases all the spores creating more algae.[/quote']

I agree and a fox face will do the trick as I have used them in the past with good success but you also need to figure out your nutrient issue as they wouldnt be as big a problem unless there getting there food from somware and a fish may not be able to keep up unless this is addressed first.

Yah when you pop them it releases the spores from which they grow. I've had the green kind since i started the hobby and have tried emerald crabs ever since i started as well. Currently I have 2 emeralds and they are the first to make any dent in my bubble algae, they've eaten almost all of it i love em!

I have bubble algae in my tank too, but I've always had trouble keeping emerald crabs alive. I think in the last 2.5yrs I have bought 6 or 7 of them. I know they can be reclusive and hard to find, but it has now been months since Ive seen the last one. Also my bubble is increasing. I also lost 3 cleaner shrimp in about 2 months time after having my first one about a year and then gave up on them. Is there something I am missing here? Sorry for a mini-hijack, but I figure its on topic enough not to bother starting another one...