QUESTION: Tank with cracked eurobrace

larrybeck

Hi all,

I'm looking for opinions on the riskiness of a purchase I'm considering. I've found a large acrylic tank that I'd like to buy. It's in pretty rough shape, as it's been used as a sump for the past couple of years. However, there doesn't appear to be much in the way of scratches or damage - mostly just years of built-up gunk to be cleaned up, and then hopefully some reasonable scratch removal and buffing to restore it.

The tank is a 300g, 84x24x30 tenecor tank built from 1/2" acrylic. It was made around 10 years ago, and still owned by the original buyer. It has 2 openings in the top, with ~5" bracing all around a 12-18" brace in the middle. There are two 2" slots in the eurobrace for plumbing along the back. The current owner forced a 2" pipe into that hole and cracked a section of the brace where it's only about 1" across.

IMG_0150.jpg

IMG_0148.jpg

The current owner filled the hole with krazy glue and has been using it ever since. His sump design kept the tank full within 4" of the top during normal use and to the top when he shut the pump off, and he wasn't encountering any issues. The crack is only in the eurobracing, the side panel below appears undamaged.

I'm hoping that I can clean up the krazy glue and try to get a little weldon in there to help with structural integrity. Then clean this monster up and get it back on display.

So, what does everyone think?

thanks

Larry

If you are going to do this.......

I suggest you go get a scrap piece of acrylic and use it as a "patch" over the crack.

If you have ever seen a tank that has had an old hole patched. Use the same theory. Place the scrap on the underside of the crack and use weldon to attach it.

Hey' date=' I think I know that tank. Was it one of the sumps on a 1500 gallon tank?[/quote']

Yes, this is one of Kevin's old tanks. I knew that if you stumbled on this thread you'd probably recognize it. :) Sad to see him tearing it down. I wonder if anyone here would be in the market for his 750... it's still on the market.

Thanks for you input - I think I'm going to snap this up.

definantly depends on how much you are buying it for

if it is cheap then it looks good

!

Well, it's definitely priced low given the work it will require. The current owner has been very upfront and I'm going back and reading his build threads now. Touching story, and it means a lot to hear his story after spending and hour and a half talking with him yesterday. Great guy.

buffing out is pretty easy, pm me for details if you buy it and want some input

make sure the acrylic is softer though. the harder the acrylic... the harder to buff

I've done one Envision Acrylics tank in the past. I did it a by hand (it was 100g) and it was tiring, but doable. I'd prefer to enlist a few power tools along the way but James was very clear that the risk of melting the acrylic exceeded the value of moving faster. I've got a full restoration kit on hand, although if I could find someone who would come to the house to do the job I'd probably be willing to fork over the cash. LOL