Clown hell

Holly

My big maroon female has taken over a 2nd BTA in the tank, leaving my little clarkii with nowhere to go. Maroon goes back and forth across the tank hosting BOTH the rose BTA and the new green one, which is much smaller. What can I do to get her off one of them? Should I try to remove her for a week or so, then put her back in? She's dive-bombing both my little clarks!! (flame) (My other clark is on a sebae, which maroon doesn't try to host but does try to keep the clark off of)

I'm about ready to move her to the quarantine tank permanently.

Is it normal for one clown to take over multiple anemones in opposite areas of the tank like this? WTH I thought a well-rocked 180g would have enough space for 2 pairs of clowns with anemones... DOH!

First thing, try showing the mean one its reflection a few times with a mirror, it should get aggressive towards itself, usually forgetting about the other anemone. Try that if not maybe moving some rock around maybe... other than that I can only think of eviction.

well its normal for my tanks atleast my maroon pair has 3 bta but as for them all they all have a seprate bta except the maroon with 3 but i also keep my pairs in their own tanks so theirs no way for them to steal one from each other but if you have a large enough tank you can do it but ive only dont it with the same species i had 2 true pairs in a 120 one on each side seem to keep to them selves but maroons are mean so you may have to remove her if its gold stripped ill buy her if need be.

Overnight, the anemone moved into a crack underneath my frogspawn, and the maroon's officially taken full possession. Her mate is still over on the rose BTA. I don't think I can even get a mirror near her at this point, they're so buried in that crack. She keeps sucking on the anemone tentacles, which looks viscious, but I read that that's normal..?

I give up. She can it. She doesn't seem to like sebaes, so maybe in a few weeks, I'll put one more sebae in there for the other clarkii.

Yeah, she's a gold-stripe, althoughly the gold has gotten paler as she's gotten bigger. Not sure if that's normal, but she seems healthy...

Thanks for the advice. Next time, I'll try the mirror thing right off the bat.

youll probably have a tough time getting a maroon clown to tolerate other species. a female maroon is full of scorn and contempt for anything but her anemone. theyre aggressive clowns. it will be best for everyone if you remove her, or any other clown in the tank.

clowns in general are fairly intolerant of other species in the same tank. if you can create a visibility barrier in your tank, like a small cove with the sebaes and clarkiis and a rock wall that will obscure them from the bubbletips on the opposite, you may have some luck. but expect aggression between conspicifics. perhaps try some occellaris and pink skunks. theyre typically timid enough to work in larger tanks together.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Try feeding out of a syringe. A little brine shrimp . slowly get her used to it and she will realize it means food. Gradually start feeding her just by bearly holding the tip of the syringe at the top of the tank. Then when you feed swipe with the net. I have trained most of my fish to do this and even get the clowns to eat out of a net with food in it.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the advice weg! Sorry..haven't posted on the site in a while. I finally caught her with a fish trap that I bought. She and her mate are now relocated to a 12g nano with their sebae, and all's well .. The big tank's MUCH better w/o them in it. I'll never get maroons again, after this.