polyp extension

vanz

On sps?

Mostly just natural behavior. But if they aren't extending during the day you may have a nipper in your tank.

This is how found out that I did. Wanted polyp extension and wasn't getting much, so after alot of watching. I caught a pygmy angel nipping and after removing it from the tank, ( huge PITA), I have better polyp extension and in some cases more polyp extension.

This is just what happened to me.............might be different there but might be worth keeping an eye on.

It's on my yellow monti. I only have 2 clowns, a blenny and yellow watchman....none ever swim near the monti at all. Monti is located by overflow a couple of inches below the surface. Light is t-5, and it's about 10" above waterline.

Where did you get the coral from? do you know if it was wild caught? Like someone said above, their natural behavior is to extend at night (feeding time and when most animals that may feed on the polyps are resting). But when they have been in the aquarium they do not need to worry about either one of those.

I have a few wild caught ones that only extend at night...as long as you see them out at night and it is growing, then I would not worry to much.

Now, now,... let's not scare the lad with loose talk of the wee beasties! The monti eating nudies would leave damage you could see. Not to worry, my bet is everything is fine and the coral will settle in in time to give you polyps during the day. On the other hand, it could have a bad case of "Reef Clap" and be gone by morning. Too early to tell. Ryan

my guess is the bi color i know cccp had a really really big problem with a bicolor and jason has told me the same thing im not sure if they nip monti but i know for sure the do it to arco's so its just a small step away from monti's so i think its that as for my experience with corals i have wild and aqua frags and colonies they always have PE during the day about 2-3 mm or large with some colonies then at night i have atleast 5-6 mm or more on some but the only time ive never seen pe during the day was on one frag that fell and was right infront of a outlet that pumps out alot of water strait out about 3k so no coral like direct and i mean direct flow

As for as sps, I have another monti, which is starting to comeback from bleaching (pe during day), birdsnest (pe during day), and hydnophora (pe all the time).

Salt is ocean pure. Flow is the same day or night, so I don't think that's the problem. It's still probably just adjusting. Other than no pe during the day, it looks fine.

nureef i thought the same thing but ccp got a bi color from advanced and i bought one years ago from saltwaterfish.com he had a really really big problem with his sps with his bi color check out his pics on that thread its scary also me and ccp checked several reef books at jasons and they said may nip on lps or sps so i thought they were good too. it sounds like its your salt if everyone having problems them im guessing op is the problem kent salt had that problem awhile ago and also io they didnt mix the components to gether so the top of the salt after it was shipped had only alk on the top and the rest below so you can see what problems that would have so salts have had problem so its not new

Thanks! the RC thread made me see things clearly. I have about 75 gallons left of ocean pure, so should I switch to Kent, Tropic Marine?