odd clown behavior

gmiller

newbie has a question. I have a tomato clown and am wondering if anyone out there has seen this behavior. The clown turns vertical in the tank and fans its tail to dig holes, all over the place. could'nt be spawning as he is the only clown in the tank unless we have an immaculate conception going on. I have talked to this fish about the mess he or she is making, but to no avail. my curiosity is killing me so any info will be appreciated. thanks

could'nt be spawning as he is the only clown in the tank unless we have an immaculate conception going on. I have talked to this fish about the mess he or she is making' date=' but to no avail. [/quote']

(laugh)

I had a blue damsel do that, and its supposed to be a common territorial behavior. Since clowns and damsels are related somehow, I assume yours is doing it for the same reason.

as long as the clown remains the only clown in the tank, she will take on the female gender. this can happen in as little as a month. however, the behavior youre witnessing is like powdertang said, the clownfish is making her environment more to her liking. they tend to do this around the base of anemones, but will do it at the base of rocks, corals, heaters....exceptionally frustrating.

My female perc does this as well. They host 2 frogspawns that i have sitting in a couple pieces of PVC to keep them upright and the female clown fans the sand around the base of the PVC. I've also seen her pick up shells from around the area with her mouth and move them away. With the exception of kicking up sand all over the place, its cool to watch.