Newbie with worms

gmiller

Hello to all, a newbie here. I have a 55 gallon tank with two 30 gallon sumps and a canister for running charcoal. Have a few fish and corals but need to upgrade my lighting to get the corals to thrive. Now to my problem. I have a lot of bristleworms in my tank and in the last week I have pulled out 9 turbo snail shells sans snail and have seen worms on the shells. Now I understand the worms are beneficial and I tested the water and everything is within acceptable standards and all livestock appears to be doing fine. My question is will the worms attack living tissue? I thought not but now am not sure. I am contemplating getting an 8 line wrasse for a little worm control but understand they will sometimes go for the fan worms and snails. Any thoughts you have to share will be greatly appreciated,thanks.

Agree with michael.

Bristleworms are harmless scavengers. their population in your tank will be directly relevant to how much excess nutrients you have in your system for them to feed on. If something is dead or near dead.......they will be all over it though

willing to bet those snails were dead before the worms ever touched them.

Welcome to the club :)