Sources for large chillers - like a 500 gallon cold water tank?

MVPaquatics

A client is asking for places to get a newer (possibly smaller/quieter) chilling unit for their approximately 500 gallon live dungeness crab tank.

The water is obviously kept similar to the oregon coast and is open top but insulated on the sides (about 10 feet x 4 feet x 3 feet)

The unit they have now is very large and kind of loud (although it is huge and running a lot)

Just thinking someone here might have some ideas....WEAST!? hahaha

Ye gods! 500 gallons is well over TWO TONS of water -- and your client wants small and quiet?!?

I'd suggest you consider bagging the idea of solving this through the usual channels and instead step up to a small industrial chiller. A unit with a remote pump/condenser would solve the noise and size issues, but it would also require a fixed installation (...perhaps not such a big deal with a 10x4x3 tank!) and lots of extra piping, which increases the chances of a leak developing. Everything's a trade-off.

To find a reliable local vendor, try talking to some folks in industries that routinely use such equipment: breweries, fish hatcheries, dairies... If you have any contacts or clients at Intel, they may be able to point you in the right direction, as well, as I understand the semiconductor industry needs lots of cool, clean water for their fabs.

I will try to call them but last I heard they were not doing so well. for awhile (maybe still) you couldn't get them anywhere. Except people who sell closeout speciials. I don't like investing in dying companies' date=' not good for warranties if they aren't even around anymore[/quote']

Okay I didnt know that. Try Tradewinds Chillers! They are made in the in USA!