Are damsels live bearers or egg layers?

dippin61

I have what i believe is hundreds of eggs from my pair of yellow tailed damsels. First time id ever seen them mate, let alone knew one was female, and the other male. lol. Anyways, was looking in the tank today by where their burrow is, and i noticed a bunch of what looked like small eyes, attached to a wall of live rock. Theres tons of them there. I can only assume she laid eggs?

Free food for the tank i guess.

Yellowtail Damsels (Chrysiptera parasema) are egglayers. Raising larvae is very similar to raising Clownfish (Amphiprion). There are some accounts of spawning and rearing at The Breeder's Registry http://www.breedersregistry.org/ . Here is the report of a related species, Chrysiptera cyanea : http://www.breedersregistry.org/database/CHRCYA01.htm

• Like 1

*Note - we are currently working on establishing as many phytoplankton, rotifer, and copepod cultures as possible within the range of PNWMAS Membership for spawning occurrences such as this. Sorry, no rotifer cultures going at this time :( (Hopefully very soon!)

• 7 months later...
*Note - we are currently working on establishing as many phytoplankton' date=' rotifer, and copepod cultures as possible within the range of PNWMAS Membership for spawning occurrences such as this. Sorry, no rotifer cultures going at this time :( (Hopefully very soon!)[/quote']

What ever came from this? (I am asking in a positive, hopeful manner.)

What ever came from this? (I am asking in a positive' date=' hopeful manner.)[/quote']

I still have phytoplankton cultures(Nannochloropsis) going, Barelycuda has some rotifers. A few other people may have them too.

You might ask Barleychown if she still has some copepods.