Wierd Zoanthid Mat? ID Help....

ReefSafari

So we saw this wierd chunk of rubble rock that had a couple really tiny cool mushrooms on it, along with what looked kinda like a little chunk of favia, We got it home aclimated it and once the lights went out, it popped out and looks to me like its a weird Zoanthid/Paly of some kind, I remember Aloha Corals had something that looked simular, I think they are called "Sea Mat Zoanthids"??? Something like Palythoa tuberculosa.....I was wondering if anyone knew anything about them, I can't seem to find many people who have them, are they cool, not cool, ok, not ok....any info or direction to more info on them would be great. These are kinda creamy beigeish tan mat with green polyps when they extend out. I will try and get a daytime pic tomarrow of them, but this was take shortly after the lights went out, and I flipped them on real quick to snap the photo...

P1000293.jpg

Thanks for the replies, these are my wifes and are in her tank, I told her to be careful with them, as I don't know much about them, now she is hesitant on even having them in her tank.

Here is what they looked like this morning after the lights had come on, and this is what they looked like at the shop too, we all at quick glance thought it was a little chunk of favia or something....(laugh)

P1000266.jpg

Very cool to see that frag as it came from my tank:) I traded it along with some other stuff for some store credit at Upscales. I originally got the colony from a user here (in Vancouver, but cant remember the name now) about 2 years ago. The color has changed through out the life of my tank from bright green to more of a cream color and back again. AFAIK Roger is right on the ID. When i first got the frag I fed it a few times a week and it grew nicely. After a few weeks I took a scalpel to and fragged it into 6 or 8 pieces. Each frag added polyps over the next couple months, but then something changed in my tank and pretty much all my zoas stopped growing. I used to feed my fish pretty heavily and got tired of the extensive water changes that this led to. Thats about the only reason I can come up with. Anyway, I haven't seen any negative affects from having this coral, but I'm not nearly as knowledgeble as many users here.

Just wanted to add that when i was in Cancun last summer I saw a yellow variety in a local aquarium and on a few advertisements for scuba/snorkeling outings. I had the impression they are native to the area.

I just got a frag from Dennis the other day. I think they are cool!!! I noticed they will open during the day if you move them into the shade. Dennis said if you feed them they will grow. He most likely got his from the same person as thegoosewisperer, he told me the persons name but I have forgotten it.

I bought the ones from Aloha' date=' I think he called them "true palythoas" or something. They havent really grown in the 6 months i've had them.[/quote']

When I saw it, thats the first thing I thought of too, was the one that Aloha Corals had for sale.

looks to be a true seamat and could be very poisnous so it would be wise to be carful when or if you handle it.

My wife got it and put it in her tank, once she realized what it was, she didn't want it in her tank anymore, so it now is in my tank, but I don't plan on messing with it thats for sure. They are an issue if you mess with it right? by just having it in the tank wont make the water a problem, its only if you mess with them right?

Very cool to see that frag as it came from my tank:) I traded it along with some other stuff for some store credit at Upscales. I originally got the colony from a user here (in Vancouver, but cant remember the name now) about 2 years ago. The color has changed through out the life of my tank from bright green to more of a cream color and back again. AFAIK Roger is right on the ID. When i first got the frag I fed it a few times a week and it grew nicely. After a few weeks I took a scalpel to and fragged it into 6 or 8 pieces. Each frag added polyps over the next couple months, but then something changed in my tank and pretty much all my zoas stopped growing. I used to feed my fish pretty heavily and got tired of the extensive water changes that this led to. Thats about the only reason I can come up with. Anyway, I haven't seen any negative affects from having this coral, but I'm not nearly as knowledgeble as many users here.

Just wanted to add that when i was in Cancun last summer I saw a yellow variety in a local aquarium and on a few advertisements for scuba/snorkeling outings. I had the impression they are native to the area.

SWEET!! Now I know where they came from, the mushrooms that was on the frag are pretty cool too...lol

It seems to be getting a little greener in my tank, might be the lighting, but I notice they open up really nice at night, and stay closed up during the day, I target fed them last night, it doesn't seem to be a very popular coral, not many people seem to have them, but I don't know why? I posted it on RC and so far not one person has commented, I guess when your not dealing with bright colored Zoanthids worth $$$$ people aren't interested???

I think they are cool....they are now in my tank...lol

I just got a frag from Dennis the other day. I think they are cool!!! I noticed they will open during the day if you move them into the shade. Dennis said if you feed them they will grow. He most likely got his from the same person as thegoosewisperer' date=' he told me the persons name but I have forgotten it.[/quote']

COOL!! glad to see another person with them, I will be target feeding them, so I will post how much its grown over time.

I'll snap some new pics soon....

That is Palythoa caesia. Some call them Pillow Zoanthids, but they are actually a Palythoa strain.

I have a few cool morphs in the past. The coolest was a green oral disc when the polyps opened while the rest was the tan color. They can be fast to slow growers. I currently have a pretty slow grower in my tank now. They are pretty hardy and my mother colony has been with me for close to 3 years.

Kevin

http://www.marinelifephotography.com/marine/cnidaria/palythoa-caesia.htm

That is Palythoa caesia. Some call them Pillow Zoanthids, but they are actually a Palythoa strain.

I have a few cool morphs in the past. The coolest was a green oral disc when the polyps opened while the rest was the tan color. They can be fast to slow growers. I currently have a pretty slow grower in my tank now. They are pretty hardy and my mother colony has been with me for close to 3 years.

Kevin

AWESOME!! Thanks for the quick reply, I am kind of excited to have it, something different, I like it! Thanks for the link too!

Ive been adding a little cyclopeeze to the tank after lights out a couple times a week and I've started noticing a couple frags are growing new polyps. Since I have several frags I put them in a range a lighting conditions. All the frags are doing fine, but higher up in the tank frags are greener, stay more tightly closed during light hours and are thinner. I've had a frag or 2 fall off the frag rack and been left in the bottom corner of the tank for a couple weeks and they pretty much bounce right back. I've also had them get overgrown by algal slime for a week or 2 at a time and they do just fine with that too. At night they really open up big and are very reactive to feeding. Lately I've noticed the outer edge where growth appears to be going on will be a brownish/red. These guys are about the most bullet proof thing I have in my tank really.

The mushrooms are pretty nice too, I agree. When they are in happy mushroom land (on the fringe of light/shade) the spots get a nice blue gem quality like the spots on my watchman goby.

BTW I have frags to trade of the palythoas pictured here if anyone is interested.

Kevin

Thanks for the link! Those are great pictures.

• 1 month later...