What to do w/ my tank next?

Kimberlee

Heres the info on the tank first.

55 gal, no sump yet

4 54w T-5s, 1 blue plus, 1 6,5000k actinic, 2 10,000k suns

Mod., seaclone skimmer for 100gal water volume

1 350gph power head and 2 smaller 1's unsure what they are

small DTY refuge w/ cheato (growing fast)

15lbs live rock (already know I need more, in the plan)

tank is 7 months, fighting cyno currently. I know that's part of my system maturing, but it's still ugly. What would be the next thing you would do to this system to improve it?

I'm looking at this being my only tank for a couple of years so I'd like it to be a good system w/ some variety in it. I'd also like to see some sps'es in it at some point.

Nice list going so far Kimberlee! Cyno is a pain but it can be beat back. I would go for some more rock if you can get it. Whats yor bio load? (fish' date=' snails ect)[/quote']

1 coral beauty

2 onyx clowns babies

1 black blenny

2 turbo snails

2 of those nasuras? snails

3 small snails unidentified

bio load is small

Just a question, I've read and been told that a 7 month old tank is still young. The cyno is apparently part of the maturation process? I do agree about needing more water flow and more live rock.. I have a Marineland duel purpose canister filter, but I don't have the attachment to run the bio-wheel part. The set up gives me the option to use the canister basically w/ carbon or the bio-wheel.

Sorry this has turned out to be more than a question.

I got my tank for my birthday, and only planed on fish. For a fish only tank it seemed like a good choice. I didn't know people kept reef systems out side of a public aquarium. Imagine my surprise when I finally went to a saltwater fish store looking for a better selection of fish. Scrap the fish tank, time to start reading. Discovered the protein skimmer. Sounded like most everyone w/ corals in their tank had one. I was also reading about how nitrates build up in canister filters. So I abstained a skimmer, not the very best one sorry guys I have to plan almost all purchases around bills, and kids. They just get more expensive every year (the kids not the tank). I, than after about a month of using slimmer and carbon took out the carbon and put in the bio-wheel. I get way more water flow when I use it to run carbon. It is for a 55gal tank, rated at 250 gph.

Any thoughts out there about the bio-wheel part?

Also I'm thinking I'd like to run some carbon, I just don,t think I want to use the canister to do it?

I really only keep it on the tank for a little extra water flow which I don't get if I use the bio-wheel.

Are there any other ways I can put this thing to use for my tank?

Also like I said my sump is in progress. The tank for it is 29gal I think it's tall. I'd like to get 20 more gal water volume out of it, leaving gal of available room in case of overflow. I also would like To include a fuge w/ cheato some gravel rock and maybe some live sand. The thought has crossed my mind to scrap the sand bed all together in the display tank, and when my sump is ready include a DSB. I would really appreciate hearing about other reefers sump set ups. Maybe those out there who've had different systems could could tell which sump designs work out the best, and please remember to say why you chose that sump for your tank. I'm still new in the hobby, and I've spent hours reading. But article tend to be directed at only a couple of scenarios, and what is never left out of a thread is that every tank is different.

I know this is a lot, trust me when I say I could keep asking thing till the end of next year.

Would love to hear thought on the lack of a sand bed in a DT, I've heard it's easier to keep clean but not much else. I know that a DSB offers natural filtration, and I like the idea of keeping everything as natural as possible.

I do have a small fuge, I made out of a fresh water part. It works, but not big enough for my 55, maybe a ten.

Sorry I'm so long winded. I've been reading through threads here and RC mostly, and have read to many articles about everything I could find, (my book mark list takes longer than it should to scroll down) so I do have ideas of how I want my tank to work.

Thank you for just taking the time to read this book, and in advance for answering one or two things on my long list.

Just a question, I've read and been told that a 7 month old tank is still young. The cyno is apparently part of the maturation process? I do agree about needing more water flow and more live rock.. I have a Marineland duel purpose canister filter, but I don't have the attachment to run the bio-wheel part. The set up gives me the option to use the canister basically w/ carbon or the bio-wheel.

Sorry this has turned out to be more than a question.

I got my tank for my birthday, and only planed on fish. For a fish only tank it seemed like a good choice. I didn't know people kept reef systems out side of a public aquarium. Imagine my surprise when I finally went to a saltwater fish store looking for a better selection of fish. Scrap the fish tank, time to start reading. Discovered the protein skimmer. Sounded like most everyone w/ corals in their tank had one. I was also reading about how nitrates build up in canister filters. So I abstained a skimmer, not the very best one sorry guys I have to plan almost all purchases around bills, and kids. They just get more expensive every year (the kids not the tank). I, than after about a month of using slimmer and carbon took out the carbon and put in the bio-wheel. I get way more water flow when I use it to run carbon. It is for a 55gal tank, rated at 250 gph.

Any thoughts out there about the bio-wheel part?

Also I'm thinking I'd like to run some carbon, I just don,t think I want to use the canister to do it?

I really only keep it on the tank for a little extra water flow which I don't get if I use the bio-wheel.

Are there any other ways I can put this thing to use for my tank?

Also like I said my sump is in progress. The tank for it is 29gal I think it's tall. I'd like to get 20 more gal water volume out of it, leaving gal of available room in case of overflow. I also would like To include a fuge w/ cheato some gravel rock and maybe some live sand. The thought has crossed my mind to scrap the sand bed all together in the display tank, and when my sump is ready include a DSB. I would really appreciate hearing about other reefers sump set ups. Maybe those out there who've had different systems could could tell which sump designs work out the best, and please remember to say why you chose that sump for your tank. I'm still new in the hobby, and I've spent hours reading. But article tend to be directed at only a couple of scenarios, and what is never left out of a thread is that every tank is different.

I know this is a lot, trust me when I say I could keep asking thing till the end of next year.

Would love to hear thought on the lack of a sand bed in a DT, I've heard it's easier to keep clean but not much else. I know that a DSB offers natural filtration, and I like the idea of keeping everything as natural as possible.

I do have a small fuge, I made out of a fresh water part. It works, but not big enough for my 55, maybe a ten.

Sorry I'm so long winded. I've been reading through threads here and RC mostly, and have read to many articles about everything I could find, (my book mark list takes longer than it should to scroll down) so I do have ideas of how I want my tank to work.

Thank you for just taking the time to read this book, and in advance for answering one or two things on my long list.

Hi Kim, I myself wouldnt use the bio wheel or any other mechinical type bio filtration. Live rock and your sand is going to do that job. I myself prefer a sand bed in my tank than a bare bottom tank, but if you do a remote DSB in your sump then you should be okay, it will do the same thing. My last tank had a DSB in the display but this time I plan on only doing a thin bed in my tank and doing a DSB remotely. (i've been reading that thats the way to go these days, I am still researching it myself, pro's vs con's) If you run carbon thru your filter you should really only do so for a few days to a week and then take it out unless there are reasons why you are running it that I dont know about. You should be able to use the canister w/o running carbon or the biowheel (most canister filters will allow you too, although I admit I dont know what model you are using). Do you have a skimmer? I couldnt really tell from your post or maybe I am just to tired today..lol

Anyways the reason I was searching for your thread was to let you know that if you still have a need for more water movement that I can give you a powerhead to use. I bought it in a pinch thinking that I could use it but it didnt really work out for me so I had to buy another. Its just a cheap petco model, I think its rated 160gph but its yours if you want it. I know how hard this hobby is to do with kids to budget around, i've got 4 of the little buggers myself. My only catch would be that it never gets sold, but you are free to give it away to anyone you want as long as its not for money. Anyways let me know. I can bring it to the meet at Kim and Beths or you or your hubby can come pick it up.

Okay, so yeah if you are running a skimmer than really you should only need to run carbon if you need to polish the water if it looks like it needs it.

I checked the powerhead and it is a 160gph. I'll bring it with me to the meet! I'm glad someone can use it.

cool, I can do that. My water looks clean, so I probably don't need to. I run the skimmer all the time though, was worried the first time I ran into the phrase over skimming, but everything in the tank grows really fast, so I'll assume my skimmer isn't removing the goods. I have a 29gal to make into a sump. I'd like a refugium included in it, but had not decided on a remote DSB yet

I have never heard of cyno being a part of a tank maturing. I think you just have a cyno outbreak and need to treat it. I have had lot's of new tanks and never had that as a part of the maturing process. Go buy some cyno treatment and it will get rid of it with in 2 days. And it probably will not return. It is more like a bacterial infection and once you treat it , it goes away.

not putting treatments in my tank, until I've tried everything else. I will add more flow and LR, than start looking at other things if that doesn't help. Once you put something in you can't take out, so it's the last thing I'll try. Besides it doesn't do me any good to treat it if the real problem isn't addressed.

I have never heard of cyno being a part of a tank maturing. I think you just have a cyno outbreak and need to treat it. I have had lot's of new tanks and never had that as a part of the maturing process. Go buy some cyno treatment and it will get rid of it with in 2 days. And it probably will not return. It is more like a bacterial infection and once you treat it ' date=' it goes away.[/quote']

I agree with wegotjs.

Although, all the other suggestions do have merits, increasing the flow rate in the tank is NOT going to solve your problem (sorry guys, I am going against common wisdom here). Cyno is not an Algae, its a bacteria and yes your tank somehow got infected (by addition of new stuff, LR etc etc.) With an increased flow, you are only going to make the problem worst and spread the stuff around your tank.

This I say from my personal experience. I HAD a 300 gal system with 90 g DT and I battled with this endlessly until a buddy of mine told me to do three things!

1. Keep the flow rate normal (in my 90g DT, I had four maxiject 900, I tunred two of them off, the only two that were left on were in the front of the tank)

2. Turn of the lights for atleast 3 days (it would be better, if the tank is completely dark, I covered the sides with blankets, bottom line, NO LIGHTS)

3. Use Chemiclean as directed (yeh, I know the purist would say no chemicals in the tank! And I totally agree with them but this is a problem that is not going to go away even if you do frantic water changes (an expensive options with lots of salt and DI water used).

The trick worked like charm and I never had the Cyno issues again for 3 yr until I had to shut my system down to move across the country to Eugene.

The reason I came across your thread is because I am in a process of setting up my tank (90g DT with 55g sump) and trying to check out people's tank here. Ofcurse, this is just my humble opinion and you should check these out on sites like RC also.

Good luck. This is a battle that can be easily won and your tank will look beautiful again.

Here is a picture of my tank just before it was brought down in Madison WI :(

I was so disheartened after I took my tank down that it has taken me 2 yrs to finally get off my behind and set it up again!

picture.php?albumid=67&pictureid=324

picture.php?albumid=67&pictureid=323

I think you should see some set ups and then go from there. There are some great reefers here and you are welcome to come checkout any of my three tanks. All three of em have different setups on em. And I have a little over 100 lbs of live rock for sale. I think you need atleast 80lbs of live rock. Its amazing what live rock does. And if you want my best friend and I could come help you set up your sump, that would create added flow too. I have a few powerheads, return pumps, actually I have tons of stuff! :)

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
I think you should see some set ups and then go from there. There are some great reefers here and you are welcome to come checkout any of my three tanks. All three of em have different setups on em. And I have a little over 100 lbs of live rock for sale. I think you need atleast 80lbs of live rock. Its amazing what live rock does. And if you want my best friend and I could come help you set up your sump, that would create added flow too. I have a few powerheads, return pumps, actually I have tons of stuff! :)

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

I'll take that offer up, all of it. I'm looking at different sumps now, trying to make the final decisions.

Once again thx, J.R.. I did the math on my system at 1700gph I should be running 30x my water volume. The cyno appears to be less abundant. Now I'm trying to deiced whether or not to start working on my sump or add more LR. I think when I get my sump done I'll want to add more LR anyway. Also the LR needs to be added over time so I was thinking add another 20lb put my sump together than add some more LR. Any thoughts? I can only do 1 at a time here so this wont be a quick process.

• 1 month later...