SPS Wars-need others experiences

reefnjunkie

So I have had a few SPS wars in the tank where the bases of each acro grew into each other.

I got the typical battle where the areas that touched died and turned to white skeleton.

I have one particular piecs that it seems to be continuing even though I removed the acro that was touching.

Those have had this happen, have you had it to where it just continues dieing off, I would suspect that would be STN as to RTN but I thought once the other acro was removed it would stop.

I have had other acros where this "area of touching" just becomes a point where growth stops not to where the piece starts to STN

I am going pretty sure It will require me cutting the colony and reattaching it. I have done this on other acros that show STN signs

Let me know your experiences

I had this happen a few times. Usually they die back and it stops like you said. Once though I had a slow stn after they were separated' date=' and I put super glue over the dying area. After a month the coral started to encrust over the glue and all was well.[/quote']

I wonder why the super glue helped it from continuing-I wonder if that was a coincidence?

I guess it wont hurt I may as well give that a try before cutting the colony-I am moving everything in a few months so I just need to buy some time-I am pretty certain I will be removing most of my sps from where they are mounted any when I rescape for the new tank.

I have most mounted in a way it would not be to bad, the ones that have encrusted like the Strawberry Shortcake and Pink Lemonade will just remain on those rocks, the rest I will most likely dremmel off.

Yes' date=' I have had this happen a few times. It spreads almost like an infected limb. Ive found that if you cut the piece off about an inch back from the dead area it will stop.[/quote']

I have done this too. The glue thing I read about on RC a long time ago. Maybe a coincidence I dono.

I've had this happen too; I think it's a vibrio infection... but I think everything is a vibrio infection ("Doctor, it hurts when I "? Vibrio infection...) so take it for what it is worth. Either way, I cut it off a few mm from the edge. The coral that is, not the

I wonder what causes STN-rhetorical statement, I need to do a little research. In looking over all my SPS, I think I am seeing maybe 3-4 pieces that are showing a little "white" at the base. Not OK

Some of these I dont have the luxery, or want to cut to much, one piece is one of my Oregon Torts and the other is my Purple Monster.

Its the PM I will watch the closest, both OT are good size-IMO

To be safe, I think I will be cutting these pieces-The purple monster has taken 2 years just to get to the 5 branch 2.5" piece it is now-(flame)

Time for some reading-DOH!

I hope it doesnt look like this, White Band Disease which is what I went through two years ago

steve, how do you know if you have "white band disease"? Did all your acros look as such? I think I remember you telling me about what you went through.

link to more info or treatment?

Brad, I have found that subspecies of acropora and montipora will grow into/against each other, oftentimes with no problem.

Here are a couple winners and losers of coral wars i have watched over a period of minimum 3-6 months:

Table acro vs Monti Digita = winner is Table acro

Seriatopa vs Monti. Undata = winner Undata

S. Hystix vs Acro Horrida = winner S. Hystix

Montipora Digita vs Encrusting pokerstar monti - winner - draw.(interesting that one is branching, and one is encrusting, yet they grow into one another with no damage.)

Montipora Cap vs Cyphastrea - monti cap loses big time.

Birdsnest vs acro valida = birdsnest prevailed(pink, jagged)

A. Echinata vs Encrusting Chili Pepper montipora - montipora took this one

Seriatopa vs pokerstan montipora - seems like a slight nod to the montipora, though the montipora would not encrust up the skeleton of the branching seriatopa.)

Brad, "pulling" from the base (I'm trying to translate a foreign expression) can also be generated by low nutrients (in a relative way). Actually it is the most frequent cause.

Check your feeding. I had the same problem after I upgraded the skimmer. Try with adding a few more drops of elos skimmer, if you don't see algae. Also, I'm mixing the new way to feed (elos) and the old way (indirect, phyto) for a few months, to give the sps the time for adjusting.

Also, and this is an old and never ending discussion, your frags are colonies now and the have a bigger and more complex demand of food. One of the reasons why more and more people are going in the direction of probiotic system is that they can keep more difficult and bigger colonies, other than color.

I'm talking about bacteria. Their contribution to the feeding of sps colonies seems to be the key of a new way of keeping sps. With UV you are just killing them.

As for coral war, I have the same problem. I just had to fix red planet vs pink lemonade (first wins off course).

• Like 1