What is this?

Mitchell

I bought some xenia on a little rock tonight and when I brought it home I noticed something weird on the rock. They are brown with black stripes, about the width of a hair and the longest ones are about an inch long. They seem to move around on their own, so I don't think its some kind of crazy algae. What are they?

Worms.jpg

LOL no worries Ryan' date=' an Mitchell, they look to be common peanut worms, I'm pretty sure that's what they're called, I've got em all in my rock work, they're harmless unless your fish poop LOL[/quote']

According to my research on the google machine peanut worms are really thick and single worms. Mine are really really thin and seem to all come from a central point.

LOL dude, peanut worms can be just about any size under the sun, I've got, literally, dozens in my tank, I can't turn a flashlight on without seeing them at night, it's pretty cool watching em all scramble to get away from the light when you flash it at em....Thats the right coloration though, an I've never seen any of mine so much as touch a coral.

LOL dude' date=' peanut worms can be just about any size under the sun, I've got, literally, dozens in my tank, I can't turn a flashlight on without seeing them at night, it's pretty cool watching em all scramble to get away from the light when you flash it at em....Thats the right coloration though, an I've never seen any of mine so much as touch a coral.[/quote']

Mine don't care about light and seem to all be attached to a rock.

actually that is not a peanut worm, it is a spaghetti worm, the worm has multiple tentacles that come out of its head to gather food. They are great detritous eaters great to have in your tank

a peanut worm does not have tentacles like this and are usually grey colored. The spaghetti worms do come in banded colors such as this one

I'm gonna go against the flow here and suggest that this may actually be a serpent star rather than a worm. It has the right coloring and since they all seem to go back to the same point it leads me to believe that is what it is. If so then no worries. My very first piece of live rock had one in it which I still see from time to time. (It's a bit gigger now though)