HELP/MAJOR HAIR ALGA

lazerbeam

I HACE HAD A OUT BREAK OF GREEN AND IT LOOKS LIKE BROWN STRINGY ALGA HAD MY WATER TESTED AT PAT EVERY THING WAS GOOD PHOSPHATES WERE A LITTLE HIGK USED PHOSBAN 150 I THINK IT IS CALLED ALSO MY SKIMMER WATER STARTED NOT STAYING STEADY SOMETIMES IT WOULD FOME OUT OF THE SKIMMER I KOW ABOUT THAT SOMETHING COULD HAVE GOTTEN IN THE WATER BUT UNLIKELY HOW DO I GET THE HAIR UNDER CONTROL

THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT

MIKE

I would start with water changes' date=' and decrease your photo period. Reduce your feeding of your fish to every three days, and manually remove as much hair algae as humanly possible.[/quote']

I second that!!

And start researching for tankmates that may help to control it also.

HAIR

my blue lights are a year old and my metal halides are 3 months old i only leave my broght lights on fo four haurs a dy can blue light cause this i also noticed that i started having this when i switched to instant ocean i am swichting to oceanpure going off of pats advice

thanks for the responce

mike

I would switch to reef crystals, not ocean pure. I never really didn't like ocean pure, but thats just my opinion.

I assume you are dosing kalk? If not you should, it would help your skimmer to produce a more consistant foam and help to remove phos.

Also, how old is the tank, and how long has it been since the most recent piece of LR been put in there?

I had same issues with IO and switched to OP as well it helped, keep running the phosban and if your tank can handle get some urchins, they will help, I have tried every creature under the sun and for me the urchins helped the most. Are you cleaning your rock and if so how, if not you need to be blasting the detritus of at least twice weekly. Also how is your fish load, and what is your water change routine, and how often you feed? These are all important factors.

I would be really surprised if your algae had anything to do with your salt type, I've used IO, OP, Kent, Seachem and others and they have never created algae. Oh and I used Ocean Pure for a long time and never had an algae outbreak, and I know others with very successful tanks that use it. I have never really heard any good things about Reef Crystals though other then its really cheap.

What you need to figure out is what is adding the nitrates to your tank. I had an outbreak in my tank and it ended up being that my RO/DI filters needed changed, well I change them out and it was gone it less then 2 weeks. Also how much are you feeding, if its frozen food do you rinse it in RO water first?

I would be really surprised if your algae had anything to do with your salt type, I've used IO, OP, Kent, Seachem and others and they have never created algae. Oh and I used Ocean Pure for a long time and never had an algae outbreak, and I know others with very successful tanks that use it. I have never really heard any good things about Reef Crystals though other then its really cheap.

What you need to figure out is what is adding the nitrates to your tank. I had an outbreak in my tank and it ended up being that my RO/DI filters needed changed, well I change them out and it was gone it less then 2 weeks. Also how much are you feeding, if its frozen food do you rinse it in RO water first?

totaly agree i use coral life on my systems and clients never had a prob(and probly the cheapest salt but works) check your water source i think your prob's there