My Clam Came!!! Pics

Mitchell

I agree on no phyto...It is was too specific (size and type). I have fed clams before buy just blowing a TINY bit of sand around in the corner of the tank...they like to feed on diverse size things...phytoplankton..zooplankton, as well as bacteria.

careful not too feed anything too much at once...their respiratory system is kind of linked to their feeding apparatus, so too much food causes them to suffocate...this is when they "blast" by closing quickly.

this book has some great info on clams...I have read it cover to cover a few times...it is like a textbook. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0978619404/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=3921684234&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0MA6M7W1T35GKCRR6BTT

those bulbs wouldn't compare to a metal halide because they offer little to no photo spectrum. If you ran just those on your clam' date=' it would surely die in a matter of weeks.[/quote']

I have the same combination, just a 6 bulb and I get the same par readings as a 2x250mh 14k + 2x54 actinic t5 (plotting)

i must be missing something, par values correlate to power and intensity but what about the photosynthetic requirements of the corals. your not running any 10k, 12k or actinic whites at all? I didn't realize that actinic pures and plus's put out enough spectrum to grow coral without killing it.

A par value is a way to measure the photosynthetic needs of corals. It stands for photosynthetic activity radiation. The value you are referring to it's probably lumen.

The Blue Special is meant to affect directly Zooxanthellae while the Blue Plus put out a lot of blue with a good amount of par. The Purple just add some red. None of them is properly an actinic.

I'm just not sure a 4 bulb fixture is enough light for a 55g tank with a clam in it....I run a 6 bulb over my 40b....

It depends on the depth of the tank and the quality of the fixture/bulbs.

There are some 4 bulbs t5 units that can handle clams at 25-30 inches in a 70 gallon tank.

It depends on the depth of the tank and the quality of the fixture/bulbs.

There are some 4 bulbs t5 units that can handle clams at 25-30 inches in a 70 gallon tank.

I bought two ATI blue +, one ATI aquablue and one ATI purple +. Should I acclimate my livestock to the new light bulbs, or do I just run it as normal?

I have a 216 watt Odyssea professional light fixture. I know they are not considered quality fixtures, but the ballast runs the bulbs at the proper wattage and it has a reflector made out of one sheet of metal, but it is bent around each bulb, it kinda looks like this: VVVV. I have seen good growth on my bird nest coral with the stock bulbs, so it can't be that bad. The top of my sand bed is 17 inches away from my light.

I bought two ATI blue +, one ATI aquablue and one ATI purple +. Should I acclimate my livestock to the new light bulbs, or do I just run it as normal?

I have a 216 watt Odyssea professional light fixture. I know they are not considered quality fixtures, but the ballast runs the bulbs at the proper wattage and it has a reflector made out of one sheet of metal, but it is bent around each bulb, it kinda looks like this: VVVV. I have seen good growth on my bird nest coral with the stock bulbs, so it can't be that bad. The top of my sand bed is 17 inches away from my light.

I don't know that fixture. Reflectors are really important on T5's.

• 4 weeks later...

I just read your whole thread on your clam. I am really happy to hear it is doing well. I too really want a clam but my tank is only about 5 weeks old. I have made the decision that I will wait till it is atleast 6 months old. I am very conscientious about my water quality but I still don't want to take any risks. Thanks for sharing! It was a lot of useful info for me.