My Clam Came!!! Pics

Mitchell

So my clam was delivered today. I thought it was dead because the clam's bag had leaked and part of the clam was out of water, but I did a sniff test and everything smelled fine, so floated the bag and put the clam in my tank. Even with my lights off the minute I put the clam in my tank it started to open up. I can't believe how fast it has adjusted.

My cleaner shrimp didn't jump on it and eat it, so that's good, it does tickle my clam's mantel with its antenna when it walks by, but hopefully the clam will get used to that.

If I move my hand over the clam it quickly shuts, so that's a good sign. I have never had a clam before and the only clams I have seen in stores are maximas, so I am not sure what a healthy derasa looks like, but it seems as happy as a clam (couldn't resist saying it :D)

I am going to be picking up some food for it tomorrow, whats the best brand of phyto?

Here are some pictures:

2010-11-30_14-36-05_148.jpg

2010-11-30_14-32-45_850.jpg

2010-11-30_13-58-30_514.jpg

2010-11-30_13-28-49_809.jpg

2010-11-30_14-36-30_116.jpg

looks great, nice derasa. here are some care tips

They are bottom dwellers, but will attach bysuss threads to some object until the get larger (over 12") Full grown size about 3 feet. I found that another half of a clam shell works great to sit them in then set both in the bottom of tank.

You don't have to feed them anything if they are greater then 3" in size

They are quick growers make sure to keep check on your calcium, mg, alk levels. Could be possible side effects to other corals in tank when getting to a large size (corals will exhibit slow growth etc) see Franks thread about removal of his Gigas clam.

Best if kept with metal halide or natural sunlight, not sure on long term care with only using t-5 or leds

looks great, nice derasa. here are some care tips

They are bottom dwellers, but will attach bysuss threads to some object until the get larger (over 12") Full grown size about 3 feet. I found that another half of a clam shell works great to sit them in then set both in the bottom of tank.

You don't have to feed them anything if they are greater then 3" in size

They are quick growers make sure to keep check on your calcium, mg, alk levels. Could be possible side effects to other corals in tank when getting to a large size (corals will exhibit slow growth etc) see Franks thread about removal of his Gigas clam.

Best if kept with metal halide or natural sunlight, not sure on long term care with only using t-5 or leds

I am running a 216 watt t5 fixture over my 55 gallon. Hopefully the clam will be fine with t5, I hear they are the least light demanding of all the clams.

Oh god did you say three feet, that's massive! Hopefully they only grow a couple inches a year. My calcium is pretty high at 500, I am not sure abut alk my test alk test kit hasn't come yet.

It's a good lookin clam' date=' but I'm still of the mind that witha tank that's only 5 weeks old, you should of cancelled that order.[/quote']

I tried to cancel it, but they had already separated my order for processing and I couldn't.

No worries man' date=' just keep a real close eye on it n the mi ute it starts to go south get with Alex aka grassi he runs the clam hotel lol.[/quote']

Yes, if you have any problem let me know. I still have a couple of rooms and a lot of calcium chloride lol

I have no idea either. I've read that they blow the sand out because they don't like to attach to it, much like the gigas likes to attach to the glass under the sand bed. I had a 4" derasa in the same tank as all my maximas and it lasted about a month and then died. It never seemed to dig itself down in the sand like the maximas do. Not sure if i had a bad clam or if it just wasn't happy in the sand bed. i like the derasa's but until i figure out what they like, i won't be purchasing another one.

It looks good to me from the pics.

Keep a close eye on it in the next 5-10 days. If it is not doing well, hopefully if will start to show slowly.

Also, you have a brand new tank. Don't overfeed trying to keep the clam more happy: you will end up killing it instead. Give it some time and cross your fingers. It just needs light and some good luck at this point

Last note about phyto: it is not proven that they need it. From some good sources it was pointed out that they can even suffer for too much food (phyto). They are like your liver: just because they clean up your body, it doesn't mean that you can eat fries all the day ;)

It looks good to me from the pics.

Keep a close eye on it in the next 5-10 days. If it is not doing well, hopefully if will start to show slowly.

Also, you have a brand new tank. Don't overfeed trying to keep the clam more happy: you will end up killing it instead. Give it some time and cross your fingers. It just needs light and some good luck at this point

What are signs that its not doing well?

I hate to hijack Mitchell, but, I'd love to get some info on various clams an what are the conditions they do best in.

Alex, Robert, think you guys could chime in? I want either a crocea or a derasa, simply because they are supposed to be the most hardy, but want to know what I need, condition wise, not parameter wise, to make them the most comfortable...An don't tell me a butter baste an a hot grill LOL.

Signs can be:

not opening for more than 2-3 days

gaping

color loss

being slow to react to light change

expelling zooxanthellae (looks like fish poo)

spawning

Mick, you are good with the lights if bulbs are in good condition. Other than that you need a mature and stable tank if you are diligent with water changes. Otherwise you have to supplement calcium and traces at least.

The Derasa is not a good option if you are not gonna upgrade soon, or thinking about selling it later on.

A crocea looks like a better choice. Or a maxima

Signs can be:

not opening for more than 2-3 days

gaping

color loss

being slow to react to light change

expelling zooxanthellae (looks like fish poo)

spawning

Mick, you are good with the lights if bulbs are in good condition. Other than that you need a mature and stable tank if you are diligent with water changes. Otherwise you have to supplement calcium and traces at least.

The Derasa is not a good option if you are not gonna upgrade soon, or thinking about selling it later on.

A crocea looks like a better choice. Or a maxima

I have seen it poop a few times today. This is not good?