Help With Yellow Tang

Mitchell

I got a yellow tang a little over a week ago and he has been doing great, eating his New Life Spectrum Thera-A Pellets and nori like a champ and being very active.

Today I noticed him scratching on my sand and rock and when I looked closely I saw a few white/clearish dots on his right fin. He is very fast and gets spooked when I stand close to the tank making him even more speedy, so I couldn't get a clear look.

My tank conditions are all good: ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 0, ph 8.1. I test my water daily because my tank is still pretty new and the conditions have not changed in the week I have had him. My bird nest coral, hairy mushroom, candy cane coral, torch coral, cleaner shrimp, royal gramma and clown pair are all doing great.

Is my tang going to be ok? He will have to get over it himself because I don't have a QT. He is my favorite fish and would hate to lose him.

Here is a picture I took of him yesterday:

tang11.jpg

Its a 55 gallon' date=' the tang is only 2 1/2 inches, so it should have plenty of room until I set up my 180 gallon. The tank has been cycled for 3 and a half weeks.[/quote']

Dude, the average cycle can sometimes last MONTHS, 3 and a half weeks is way to soon to be adding corals and fish, maybe some hardy fish, but tangs are by no means hardy. There is a very good chance you're going to lose your hard corals, seriously man, you need to wait before adding anything else to your tank. Nothing in this hobby, as it says in CA2OR's sig, happens fast.

Dude' date=' the average cycle can sometimes last MONTHS, 3 and a half weeks is way to soon to be adding corals and fish, maybe some hardy fish, but tangs are by no means hardy. There is a very good chance you're going to lose your hard corals, seriously man, you need to wait before adding anything else to your tank. Nothing in this hobby, as it says in CA2OR's sig, happens fast.[/quote']

I can't speak for Mitchell but it sounded like the tank had been done cycling for 3.5 weeks, not that it started cycling 3.5 weeks ago...

As for size, it should theoretically do better in the 55g than it would in a 60g cube because I think they need length moreso than actual gallonage (like that word?).

Anyway, good luck and welcome...!

Dude' date=' the average cycle can sometimes last MONTHS, 3 and a half weeks is way to soon to be adding corals and fish, maybe some hardy fish, but tangs are by no means hardy. There is a very good chance you're going to lose your hard corals, seriously man, you need to wait before adding anything else to your tank. Nothing in this hobby, as it says in CA2OR's sig, happens fast.[/quote']

Sorry if my other post didn't make since. What I ment is that my tank stoped showing ammonia/nitrite 3 1/2 weeks ago. My tanks been set up for over five weeks. Do you think my tangs going to be ok?

I do believe that yellow tangs are the hardiest out of all the tangs. I had a long time hobbyist tell me that they used to use yellow tangs back in the day to cycle tanks. As long as your tang is eating good he should be fine. You can try soaking his food in drops of garlic(garlic power)this will promote eating and is overall good for your tank anyway.

In a short answer............It's a Tang.......(laugh)

Well I hope I didn't cause it by taking a bunch of picture of him the day before he got ich. He was pretty spooked of me and I was working on getting a good picture for over an hour.

What about the UV? IF not you should get one.

No, I do not have a uv sterilizer. I read that uv sterilizers are not that helpful because most of the ich is not free swimming. It said most of the ich is attached to rock/sand where they wait for a fish to swim by, kinda like what lice do in the woods.

Just let it do it's thing and make sure it's feeding with garlic. It helps build it's immune system. Even if it does get Ich again (which it probably will) you should be fine. Seems like a lot of Ich is going around lately, must be a lot of stressed fish.

My powder blue had it for a few days but it's all gone now. Just give it time.

Just let it do it's thing and make sure it's feeding with garlic. It helps build it's immune system. Even if it does get Ich again (which it probably will) you should be fine. Seems like a lot of Ich is going around lately, must be a lot of stressed fish.

My powder blue had it for a few days but it's all gone now. Just give it time.

The fifth ingredient in their pellets is garlic. I'm am picking up some selcon tomorrow to soak his nori in, hopefully that will also help him.

If you use garlic then please add some vitamins to their food too. Garlic stimulates the feeding response but otherwise it does not have any magical healing properties. I.E. By itself it will not help their immune system however it does stimulate them to eat foods that do.

How much does your temperature fluctuate? Does the tang have a good place to hide? Any other aggressive fish in the system? I have found the biggest cause of ich is temperature fluctuations. Even as much as a 2 degree change can cause stress.

My temperature fluctuates from 79.9 at night to 80.1 during the day. The temp drops to about 78 when I do a water change. He has a lot of great hiding spots. The other fish in the tank are two clownfish and a royal gramma, so I don't think anythings pick on him.

If you use garlic then please add some vitamins to their food too. Garlic stimulates the feeding response but otherwise it does not have any magical healing properties. I.E. By itself it will not help their immune system however it does stimulate them to eat foods that do.

Is selcon a good vitamin supplement? It says its great for filter feeding inverts, will my clam eat it?

My temperature fluctuates from 79.9 at night to 80.1 during the day. The temp drops to about 78 when I do a water change. He has a lot of great hiding spots. The other fish in the tank are two clownfish and a royal gramma, so I don't think anythings pick on him.

Is selcon a good vitamin supplement? It says its great for filter feeding inverts, will my clam eat it?

Selcon is a good one to use although I doubt it will provide what a clam needs. Oyster Feast and phyto are good for the clam.