RoDi needed?

OwenReefin

Think of it this way, when you do a water change, do you get an algae bloom? If so an ro.di will stop that, if you do water changes and dont see any negative effect you could get away without using one. Now since im on a municipal water source, i dont trust the water quality since it comes out of the river that runs by my house. I tested it for phosphates and it was pretty high, so i run an rodi to help strip out any unwanted chemicals, etc.

If its one thing I have learned from my last year in this hobby is nothing is concrete, other than needing salt (its a saltwater aquarium...lol)

There are things in this hobby that just make things either easier, brighter, better, ect...one thing that comes to mind is when I see these "StarFire" Glass tanks, I have never had one, but people say it makes the tank and the corals in it all that much truer color....is it needed no...but its that something extra that makes the tank better.

Another example...is a Vortech water pump really worth it, do I need one?....well no...BUT...I would imagine it would be MUCH better than a Maxijet or nothing at all....

Now to me is an RODI unit NEEDED?...I would say no...many people use and have used tap water, but there can be some bad side effects, high phosphates in some areas can cause bad algea to go nutz. Depending on how your tap water quality is, it could be worse than just algea...

I think they don't hurt having and using one, but know there can be bad side effects from not using RODI...so will it kill corals if you don't use it...I personally don't think so...but will your tank do better and have less problems with Algea in the long run...I would say yes....

Other water purification systems are more or less just for drinking water. I.E. They may soften the water and take some of the impurities out however they only get part way there for what we need. As to whether filtered water is necessary or not it really depends on your water supply and if it's currently okay it is then a gamble as to whether it will stay that way. I.E. If the water department runs a new line in the next block over it could cause the levels to go through the roof in yours. If you do need water then many people with smaller tanks simply go to the LFS and buy it there. In general I think they are charging about $2.50 for a 5 gallon bucket. Keep in mind though that transportation will also cost you too. In the end the RO/DI unit will cost less however it will cost more to start. How long it will take to pay for itself will depend on how much water you use. I go through 5 gallons every 2 days just for evaporation and the closest LFS is 10 miles or so away so mine paid for itself pretty fast. Oh, it will also save you from hauling the water back and forth too. (Worth almost as much as the cost savings alone)

Here in Gresham out water outta the tap is pretty nasty in color as well as containing chloramines so a Ro/Di is a must for me. On top of top off and mix water I use it to clean tank stuff and rinse etc so I am always using it. In the amount of water I have used since July it has paid for itself 2x over more if I included gas.