Old house wiring and reef tanks?

pippa

I'm moving into an old house with knob and tube wiring and needless to say I have some reservations about running a tank in it. Can anyone chime in? Do you think it would it be safer to switch to another type of lighting rather then metal halides? Thanks

I'm moving into an old house with knob and tube wiring and needless to say I have some reservations about running a tank in it. Can anyone chime in? Do you think it would it be safer to switch to another type of lighting rather then metal halides? Thanks

probably ok, but its the chance you take. would it really be that hard to run a separate circuit for the tank?

You will more than likely be fine with the old wiring as long as the wire size and amps can handle it. That kind of wiring is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be if its in good condition. If it were really that bad then all of those homes would have burned down by now. I would still recommend getting it updated and a circuit ran for your tank but if you want to take the chance you aren't making a huge risk.

probably ok' date=' but its the chance you take. would it really be that hard to run a separate circuit for the tank?[/quote']

Hmm.. good question. Is it possible to run a separate circuit through an existing outlet or is this something they are going to have break open the walls to do?

Thanks Finch for the info, I will keep you in mind! The panel was upgraded recently but the old wires are still throughout. If I were to switch to LED's or PC's would it make a huge difference as per the draw on the wires and make it safer?

Carbon build up on wires? I assume you are talking about connections getting carbon. It will look grey to black powder on the connections.

Unless you are drawing too many amps it wont make a difference what lighting you have.

LED would be cheaper on the electric bill but expensive to set up. I wouldn't recommend PC lights but maybe T5's.