Lots of bubbles ?

johnsmb

I am in the process of setting up a 40B tank. In the meantime I have a simple 15 gallon tank with about 20 pounds of liverock and some corals. It has been up for about 3 months or so. No skimmer, no sump, no fish.

It has a lot of bubbles in the tank. All the time. There is a small amount of red hair type algae on the back wall - but there is no algae on the rocks at all. No slime type of algae. The bubbles seem to form mainly on the underside of the rock and then eventually release and then float up to the top of the tank. There is constantly a lot of bubbles floating up to the surface.

What is this? Something bad? There are some nitrates present, probably because I am only using RO water while I wait for my ro/di unit.....

Beth.

If my memory serves me right now, the gas bubbles you are seeing are a byproduct of the bacteria (that you carefully cultivated) in your sand bed. The rock is probably just trapping the gas and collecting larger bubbles for you to notice.

Of coarse I could be completely wrong and off base.

JM2C

the idea is that the bacteria take the NO3, and break it down to NO2, and then break it down into N(gas) and O2(aka oxygen gas) like LC said, this minor reaction which is most likely hard to notice normally is taking place and the gasses are pocketing under your rocks

hope this helps

That red hair algae is most likely cyno bacteria, it could get really bad really quick. A lot of new tanks get cyno though so I wouldn't over react, just keep an eye on it and if you notice it really starting to take off you will want to do something; because it can cover everything in your tank. definitely google cyno bacteria.

Trautman did a great job explaining it. Your Nitrate is breaking down into oxygen and nitrogen and then gasing out of the tank. Or at least that is hopefully what is causing it, There are some nuisance algaes that will also bubble badly but it doesn't sound like that is the case here.

thanks for the replies. There is no sandbed in this little tank. But there is nitrates present. When I switch to the bigger tank I am hoping to do 100% water change with ro/di water and hopefully that will take care of the nitrates. The bubbles are annoying, but sounds like they are harmless.

thanks for the replies. There is no sandbed in this little tank. But there is nitrates present. When I switch to the bigger tank I am hoping to do 100% water change with ro/di water and hopefully that will take care of the nitrates. The bubbles are annoying' date=' but sounds like they are harmless.[/quote']

If your looking to not go through a complete cycle again I would suggest taking some of your old water over to the new tank.