Help raising Alk

JonBoy

So i descovered my alk was at 5 Dkh so i started dosing using BRS soda ash and it was going well ph went from 8.1 to 8.3 and i got it to 7 dkh over a couple days but now it doesnt seem to want to go anymore. Its hard to dose when im working all day but the ph has gone up to 8.5 and the alk hasnt gone up anymore. The BRS calculator says that i would need 350ish ml to get 180gal to my 10 dkh target. Since i got it to 7 i've dosed 120 ml over the past 3 days and nothing. Last i checked cal was at 400 and mag was at 1250 if that helps.

So i descovered my alk was at 5 Dkh so i started dosing using BRS soda ash and it was going well ph went from 8.1 to 8.3 and i got it to 7 dkh over a couple days but now it doesnt seem to want to go anymore. Its hard to dose when im working all day but the ph has gone up to 8.5 and the alk hasnt gone up anymore. The BRS calculator says that i would need 350ish ml to get 180gal to my 10 dkh target. Since i got it to 7 i've dosed 120 ml over the past 3 days and nothing. Last i checked cal was at 400 and mag was at 1250 if that helps.

120ml is only 4 oz. Dosing by the calculator is based on no coral load. I have a 120 gallon frag tank full of sps and i dose 3 oz a day just to keep it the same level.

Yep, I bought a large box box of baking soda and then spread it out on a cookie sheet and baked it at 350 (If I recall right) for an hour or so. Been using that same box for a year or more now. (Since I started using Kalk I seldom ever need it anymore)

• 3 weeks later...

This may help, from WWM. Always there for everyone to read

Alkalinity depletion is caused sometimes by the misapplication of calcium supplements and/or a lack of water changes. It occurs naturally, as stated, from the neutralization of acids and removal of carbonates for calcification primarily. Ironically, it is obvious to aquarists that corals need calcium to grow, but carbonates are often ignored. Calcium supplements are some of the first and only products that many aquarists use for reef invertebrates culture. It is often forgotten, however, that coral skeletons are comprised of calcium carbonate. Calcium additions without balanced carbonate additions are about as useless as the keys to one thousand cars in an empty parking lot. And so, misinformed aquarists may continue to dose calcium without noticing any significant growth among corals in the collection (and in observance of an alkalinity that continues to fall). To some extent, an imbalance between free calcium and carbonate levels is natural, although unfriendly at times to successful reef aquariology. Grossly stated, high alkalinity and high calcium levels are mutually exclusive. Simply stated, seawater can only hold so many dissolved solids. As alkalinity increases (the levels of carbonates and bicarbonates) there is less "room" for the saturation of other dissolved elements such as calcium.