not what I had planned for tonight

reef165

Well I got my Kline butterfly fish today to help get my aptasia under controle, he had both the Kline and a copper band but after doing some reserch I found the Kline to be less of a threat to my corals. Well this fish didn't read what I read! I got it all aclimated and such, put it in and within 5 min it was devawering one of my BN frags, oh man I got pissed at it! I left it alone for a while, went back in to feed and seen that both my acan's were closed up tight, fed and watched as it ate the food I just fed the tank, went and left it alone for a while. After dinner went and looked again and it was at that moment eating my blue milli. It was at that point I decided it was coming out tonight, I go to the garage get buckets for the corals, then get a sheet to lay the rock on. I took all the corals out first, then all the rock, chased the stupid fish around the tank for about 5 min before getting it. Everything is now back in the tank, and the fish is floating in a cage in the sump. The worse thing is, I liked the rock work before taking it out! At first I tryed to duplicate it but then got frustrated and just got it in the tank. Maybe I'll work on it tomorrow. Next time though I'm going to grab a frag and put it in the aclimation jar with the fish to make sure before adding to the tank!

I have heard emphatically that they eat corals. I trust my source for info and let me tell you....I have seen so many people say things that contradict what I am told and my source has yet to be wrong. I am very sorry to hear this. I believe Frank experienced something very similar recently with a Klines.....gotta teach him how to read....look up "your fish can read"....maybe made by the same people that made "your baby can read"

Very unfortunate to read this though......sorry

I feel your pain.(sad) That's some expensive fish food.DOH! I have heard many a fish CAN be reef safe like flame angels and coral beauties. I know it works for many. I have personally decided that for me it is no longer worth the risk when it comes to my precious corals.

I had a flame angel that did fine for a while and then started picking on the lps.

I even have a blue hippo tang that on occasion pecks at my acans so they don't inflate like they used to. You can't really blame the fish. They are just doing what comes naturally.

I feel your pain.(sad) That's some expensive fish food.DOH! I have heard many a fish CAN be reef safe like flame angels and coral beauties. I know it works for many. I have personally decided that for me it is no longer worth the risk when it comes to my precious corals.

I had a flame angel that did fine for a while and then started picking on the lps.

I even have a blue hippo tang that on occasion pecks at my acans so they don't inflate like they used to. You can't really blame the fish. They are just doing what comes naturally.

Oh ya!! I dont blame the fish, like ya said it's only doing what it knows to do. I'm more mad at myself for not trusting my knowlage and getting the fish! I know butterflys are coral eaters, I know there are exceptions to the rules and not to trust the ones I read about, but I did and well lesson learned. I thankfully didn't loose any corals, some may end up with noticable scars, and take a few days to recoupe. Tomorrow I break out the lemon juice and get a couple 4 pepermint shrimp, oh and ya take back the fish.