Homework Help

cyenna

I'm taking a writing intensive course for my major (microbiology) where we are supposed to learn how to write grant proposals and scientific papers. There's a big project due at the end of the term where we will have choosen some "environment" to take a sample of, we will have tested for bacteria and we will write a proposal. I think I'm going to do my reef tank but there are three questions that I need to be able to answer:

1. What is the question?/ proposal?

2. Why should the reader care?

3. How will the work/testing answer the question?

Basically, I need a reason to test my fish tank and that reason has to be good enough so that some corporation or big money-rich entity will fund my research. If anyone has any ideas or can point me to some website, or whatever, that would be appreciated.

The pit of a pleunum system could be interesting. How much bacteria really resides there and can it ever have too much/die off. Compared to deep sand bads? Not sure how you could sell it, other that making a point other long term filtration may be better without disturbing a substrate. Not to knock plenums, I just didn't find definitive data when thinking of doing one myself. Just throwing ideas out there.

Better yet, fix Ich! Come up with a solution for that, you'll be rich!

I don't know anything about pleunum but have seen a few times. Any good links?

Mycobacteria would be very interesting! I would have to see what sort of tests I could perform to identify it in the sample? Would it be more likely in the sand or in the water? I'll do some research.

Of course, curing ick would be like curing the common cold. A nobel prize winner I'm sure. At least in the fish community. (laugh)