1st sign of the ........

You have got to be kidding! But really, it only takes a few bad apples to mess it up for the rest of us. For instance, you used to be able to buy red-eared slider turtles in this state... in fact I bought one years ago when it was legal. But then you have the irresponisble people who decided that it was messy and dirty or it got too big... so let's just release it into the river back into the wild. Who cares if it isn't native to this area? That's how I got my second slider. It was crossing Delta Highway in Eugene. Lucky for the turtle I saw it and grabbed it before a car hit it. It either escaped or was discarded by someone. And on the off-chance that it was an escapee, I couldn't exactly advertise that I found it or Fish and Wildlife would come and simply confiscate it. :(

I know, I'm a law-breaker. But who knows what they would do to the poor turtle. Probably destroy it.

That is really going to suck if we are unable to get snails. I'm afraid this is just going to be an ongoing trend though. What with the status of the reefs and the problems they've been having, I won't be surprised when they halt all harvesting of the wild colonies. We would still have aquaculturing though... I hope.

Stacy

I don't think it will be that bad. Most of these laws only really effect the importers. It will just be a couple of more hoops to jump through for them. It doesn't sound like it will be enforced within the US just on imports so we would still have astraeas, nassarius, cerith snails. I hope they don't get to crazy might take a couple of dollars out of my side business.

On a side note there is actually an FDA regulation stating that you can't sell turtles under 4" because of the risk of salmonella poisoning because the turtles were kept in dirty tanks and then little kids get a hold of them and don't wash their hands afterwards and that whole nine yards. Then of course there are probably a million Oregon regulations regarding the turtles also.

An alligator in Delta ponds! Holy shnikeys! But that's what happens... oh, look at the cute little gator. If we keep him in a ten gallon and starve him he won't get bigger! DOH!

I think that under 4" was in affect when I got my slider. Something about kids sticking them in their mouths was what I was told. So basically, the turtles have to be larger than child mouth size in order to sell. hungry laugh

I'm glad that the snail issue shouldn't affect us. Even though I'm not a fan of seeing all the snails stuck on the front of the glass, they do help out with tank maintenance.

Stacy

spayn Some laws are ment to be broken ...

the Human law over the government should prevail ..

Id find calfs Deer and elk after there moms got hit of illeagly hunted and raise them on the ranch .. i got caught and the police officer asked are you gonna eat it .. just then i threw up looking at a 5 day old baby deer i named Boomer..there small.. how could you eat something like that .. once i threw up he said ya know tammy Some laws are not right and made to be broken im glad your the one breakng this one and let me go..just like your glidder .. ive found several turtles crossing the road between elkton and Drain..kept one he got huge as omgosh and she desided to bite my nephew smiles Tammy