Lets talk about clams!

Nyles

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on the circumstances, with you knowing what they require for light and flow yes, for some, like people I see buy clams with PC lights or improper t-5 setups, its probably not infection killing them. But thats another topic all together.

Actually I wasn't going to say you should feed it.

sorry, it's just what I read a lot. My clam does appear to be regaining color but not fast enough! sigh... I just need to be patient and continue to maintain my water I guess. Thanks for sharing your experiences and your knowledge, Nyles.

I'm personally not saying to go run out and starve your clams, just that if you have an established tank and don't overkill your skimming your clam will probably get plenty of food naturally

( I wouldn't try this in a small tank or tank with limited LR). I dose phyto to (started about 3-4 months ago), but I have all sorts of filter feeders that are dependant on it, in the wild you wouldn't cram this many filter feeders in a small space, but somehow I seem to always come home with some sort of dependant filter feeder of some sort. LOL

Clams feed on "trace" ammonia and nitrate, I have never been able to register nitrate or ammonia with saliferts test kits so I would not be the one to answer that, but good light is very important. I would start with a Derasa possibly a squami and see how it does, get one at least 3" big and I can't see having any trouble. Don't expose it to "air" and acclimate slowly, make sure it responds to waving of your hands over light before you buy and if its bysuss threads are attached have someone experienced cut the bysuss threads while you watch unless the item its attached to is small and you can take with you, but try not to expose it to air or you will have to "Burp" the clam.

Don't expose it to water and acclimate slowly' date=' make sure it responds to waving of your hands over light before you buy and if its bysuss threads are attached have someone experienced cut the bysuss threads while you watch unless the item its attached to is small and you can take with you, but try not to expose it to air or you will have to "Burp" the clam.[/quote']

So it's kinda like frogspawn, where you have to transfer everything under water. So when you mean "don't expose it to water" you really mean air right? Where's a good place to get a deresa, where the owner would know how to package them?

opps, Im so good at crossing my words... If your going to the meeting at Advanced we can meet up and look at Ryans he has a nice selection and usually has 4-5 Derasa ready to go. I will be going up with Impur so cmon down!

You have to transfer frogspawns out of water? News to me! I have left them out in the air for up to 10min at a time while fragging.

haha...I dunno. Thats what I heard about transporting frogspawn...[language filter] 10 mins out of water? I don't even leave my zoas out that long (scary)

opps' date=' Im so good at crossing my words... If your going to the meeting at Advanced we can meet up and look at Ryans he has a nice selection and usually has 4-5 Derasa ready to go. I will be going up with Impur so cmon down![/quote']

I don't think I'll be going down south any time soon. That would be sweet though. I decided on putting off getting a clam right now though. I want one...but no tengo de niro.

Meeting is at Advanced in Salem, worth the drive. As far as your question regarding water quality I tried my door prize (Combo Vital; Mark Weiss and combo'ed with reefbooster, my bad) from last meeting in my tank and I now have 18 ppm nitrate and the clam has pinched mantle after the dose, so I wouldn't push much over that.. LOL. Funny thing is the SPS look wonderful and I seen a few polyps extend 2"+ on my tenius, but all the sofies are suffering and the clams are not happy. I would say try and keep under 10 ppm no3 and you should be ok but you should not have any, it causes more trouble than you want.

More linkies to info

Anything written by Daniel Knop is worth reading.

http://www.reefindex.com/browse-clams-33-1.html

http://www.reefs.org/library/talklog/d_potts_081797.html

Tridacna squamosa By Elizabeth M. Lukan 8/22/00

Tridacna gigas By Elizabeth M. Lukan 7/24/00

Hippopus hippopus - By Elizabeth M. Lukan 6/17/00

Tridacna maxima - By Elizabeth M. Lukan 3/16/00

Tridacna crocea update - By Elizabeth M. Lukan 2/10/00

Tridacna crocea - Elizabeth M. Lukan 12/16/99

Tridacna derasa - Elizabeth M. Lukan 11/9/99

Tridacnid Clams: Friends, Enemies & Ailments - Elizabeth M. Lukan 9/15/99

Caring For Tridacnid Clams - Elizabeth M. Lukan 8/18/99

Tridacnid Clams: The Basics - Elizabeth M. Lukan 7/22/99

Those look like they are all written by Elizabeth Lukan. :p

Funny story. When i first got my clam, i acclimated for about 3 hours then took it out of the bag to put into the tank. As i walked from the sink to the tank, i tripped on the carpet, the clam went flying out of my hands, slams into the side of the stand and bounces on the carpet a few times. Lots of 4 letter words came out of my mouth, i picked it up, placed it on the rock i had laid out for it, and it opened up in about 10 min. I was so scared though, i thought it was gonna die for sure.

Where is that pic of you clam with pinched mantle anyway?????????

LOL, I knew you would bug me, its already going away when I got back from snowboard trip, I will take a pic tonight but not sure if it will come out, I hate my camera. I can't believe you gave your clam a test flight... LOL... its not a parakeet. Glad it made it ok. :D

LOL' date=' I knew you would bug me, its already going away when I got back from snowboard trip, I will take a pic tonight but not sure if it will come out, I hate my camera. I can't believe you gave your clam a test flight... LOL... its not a parakeet. Glad it made it ok. :D[/quote']

I see, so the rest of us are gonna get pinched mantle, not know what it looks like and our clams are gonna die. All cuz you didn't get pics!!!! (whistle) (laugh) (enforcer)

Yah, my amazing flying clam. Come and see it, only 10 bucks for 5 min!!!! But i can't guarantee you'll see it in flight!! NO REFUNDS!

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-09/jf/index.php

:( I moved my clam up higher - slightly more flow, more light. Now the middle part isn't opening up all the way? I don't have a camera so I'll try to describe it: the mantel seems to come out except one "loop". The "inside" part of the clam is no longer exposed. Anyone got any ideas?

Nothing has changed except I actually did a water change and my nitrates have gone down a little. The clam is still attached to the rock.

On a note I said before.... what does clam poop look like? I think what I may have thought was clam poop was actually it expelling its zooxanthellae which is not good....?

They don't poop, they expell zoox. Mine has done it from time to time. I've never seen my clam look bad, even when it was expelling the zoox.

Nyles explained pinched mantle to me like this. The clam opens, but it looks like someone tied a string around it, so parts of the mantle don't extend all the way.

I found this pic over at wetwebmedia

Tridacna%20pinched%20mantle%20from%20protozoa.JPG