Tank Care/ FAQ's?

lucid

Can someone link me to where i can find visual FAQ's or just regular FAQ's on complete basic care? Ive never had a tank before and want to learn how to do everything such as when and how to change the water, set up my tank, acclimate fish, what fish work with eachother etc etc.

P.S. What are your thoughts on snowflake eels? What fish do they work with? I was intrigued by this video...

read through peoples tank build threads. alot of very interesting stuff in there. check out some online digital magazines, they often times do tank of the month articles which will go into great detail on how the tank is built and maintained. Google searches work well. start finding the information and when you have a question about something, ask in the forum and i guarantee you will get an answer. There is no catch all do everything one way. we all do stuff differently because saltwater tanks are not the same in any way shape or form. I have 5 tanks in my house and each one is setup and treated differently.

anytime you add livestock to the tank, research their temperment and capatability. Don't rely on just the vender. impulse buys are all apart of the addiction and can be problimatic. after you follow micheal7979's advice, ask opinions here(learn from others "experiences") then read some more..

anytime you add livestock to the tank' date=' research their temperment and capatability. Don't rely on just the vender. impulse buys are all apart of the addiction and can be problimatic. after you follow micheal7979's advice, ask opinions here(learn from others "experiences") then read some more..[/quote']

Then go and impulse buy because your gonna do it regardless of what you've learned. (nutty)

Then go and impulse buy because your gonna do it regardless of what you've learned. (nutty)

impulse buys don't happen in this hobby..

Well.....maybe just a few times..

Read up just like everyone else has said. The thread that Reefit left is a good one for different places to do research as well.

Good luck. Looking forward to seeing what you do!

If your going to run a reef tank at all I would steer clear of the eel plus I'm sure it will get quite aggressive in that sized tank. I know Rick on the boards here had one in his 120 gallon and Beth and Kim have one in their 150 gallon (not so much of a FOWLR). 300 gph is a little on the smaller side but could be a good start for a return pump.

FYi' date=' it is a 55g tank that i bought from zoolander! Looking to upgrade to Halide/T5 lighting in the next month or so, planned to do a mixed reef. Will a 300gph pump work for a 55g tank?[/quote']

i run 1250 gph on my 55g and two power heads on top of that for around 3000Gph total flow. you will have problems running a 55G on 300gph, remember that most pumps don't put out their total capacity much further past their head, once you add 3-4' of plumbing to it, it drastically reduces the flow rate because of the pressure it takes to push the water up there, so its possible your pump would end up only putting out near 200gph.