structural question

mister crabs

ok for those of you who have ventured into the in wall tank setup how many studs is it safe to cut out of the wall? My wall is about 16-18 feet long (wall between garage and living room) and i want to put a 180 gallon glass on a stand in garage with a picture frame setup similar to izzypops 290 gal. I want a long tank versus a deep tank to give the fish plenty of swimming room. I know I have to cut studs to fit tank but i dont want to mess up the structural integrity of the house. Any suggestions? The tank is 6 feet long. I am still in the planning stages of this but am gathering information before i buy the tank itself. thanks for all suggestions!(clap)

You need to check your local codes on how much/thickness of bracing needs to be done depending on how far of a run you do. Do it right the first time! Often they are available online. You might also call Parr Lumber for their project desk in help in getting materials. They helped me a great deal with local codes when I built my loft over a 19 foot span in the garage a few years back...and it hasn't fallen or bowed to this day. Only hickup was drilling through a 220v line in the wall :)

220v feels good! yay!

I thought about a header over the span that I am cutting out and then adding vertical posts at each end of the header. I just really like the appeal of all the tank noise and ugly equipment being in the garage. And I like Izzypops tank but i dont want a tank excessively deep front to back cuz then its hard to clean that front glass. We are looking more for a tank to house a few tangs in and give them plenty of room to swim back and forth. I have thought about getting a 210gal and underfilling it a bit to try to get a sort of surge going in there as well and having some nice corals that like high flow that will sway back and forth. If I make the window only 24" tall rather than the 29" of the 210 tank height then it would hide the actual top of the water flow. any thoughts?

You best to wait for him, I was going to suggest a contractor friend, LOL, your better safe than sorry. Even if it works now, you don't want to be crossing your fingers in the event of a snow load on the roof. Especially when you go to sell, its always good to know it you can take pics and show them it was done right so that you wont affect the resale value.

OUCH!!! power was off i hope

Nope, put quite a spark in our marriage though! I got lucky, the drills are not grounded either, but sure arced the tip of the bit off completely. Only scar is a power box I had to put on the outside where new wiring was spliced.

I believe you have to put a header no matter what, load bearing or not. it's the thickness I'm not sure about. Like someone said for resale too, they can check the thickness of the beam after sheetrock is in and if not correct, would be a pain to redo.

I do commercial design work and have a structural book here, let me know what the wall is supporting (load) if there is a second floor, rafters, or trus above and if they sit on the wall. However outright with no major loads I would just throw up 2 2x10's and that would be fine actually overkill for most applications (nail strapped) and put on extra 2x4's (king stud) on the ends for seat. Or you can buck up and get a beam, but strapping 2x10 is great for most applications.

I am planning on waiting for my friend to check it out first. I think he is actually going to help me out with the work. I am not planning to do this until late summer early fall at soonest so i have time. I am just researching tanks right now. I wouldnt mind something like izzypop's tank but the cost of it shocked my wife. Plus i really dont like acrylic. (I am allergic to the hard work of buffing out scratches...LOL)

I figure i could get a 180 or a 210 and then drill it myself for a closed loop since they come with dual overflows. And I may have a lead on a 180 pretty cheap used. I figure the more i save on the tank itself i can spend more on reactors and skimmer and comp controllers for it all.

I will probably use 3 400w halides or maybe only 250w. figure an 80 gallon for sump. (already have) and i can build the stand myself out of pressure treated lumber and I have some locking casters that are rated at 2500lbs each so the whole thing is moveable. I was thinking maybe putting a piece of glass into the window opening but not sure if it will cause a distortion or glare having two panes of glass (including tank) ? I am going to build the light rack attached to the stand but in a way that i can take it off to do maintanence.

i thought the 2x10's would work as well. the living room itself has a vaulted ceiling and the garage has a attic above it. so the wall in question goes all the way to ceiling (about 16 foot). and i am assuming there are prefab truss' over garage and opposite end of house. living room and dining room are sandwiched between garage/kitchen and bedrooms all of which have standard height ceilings.

Sounds fine, even if the attic is supported off the area in question I can't see it being a big deal, after all your only taking out a few regular studs and replacing just that area with the 2x10's. so if there is major support needed it will be above and already be taken care of, you will just be redistributing the previous load of the studs your removing.

Mr. C..

Assuming that your walls are 6"...

I would just install a 2x10 header... 2 - 2x10's nailed to a 2x6 that is flat.

so that the total width is the same as the 2x6... 5 1/2 inches.

This is rated for loads up to 8 feet.

I am in Corvallis.. I am a licensed contractor and I also am very busy... :D

Pm me your number and we could chat. Interior walls can be load bearing even with trusses.. depends on how it was designed.

I WOULD ALWAYS PUT IN A HEADER!

Good luck!