any way to quiet a draing w/o an overflow

mc82

1st time plumbing a sump and I currently don't have an overflow on it. I see suggestion about a durso and other standpipes but all are generally geared to having an overflow.

current setup is - 1.5" bulkhead with a return pump rated at 900gph. 27G Tank w/ 12.5g sump.

quite a bit of sound still at the top, gurgling. picture in the next post. Even a pointer where to go read up a bit and or if I just need to get an overflow on it to remedy the sound..etc.

Thanks for any help.

Yes drill an hole as finch said and move it up and down until you find the best position.

You should get rid of some gurgling noise this way.

I would't put a valve on a overflow, unless you have a drain on the floor next to the tank :)

1,5 inches bulkheads are rated for about 750gph. Your pump, even with friction and back pressure can easily push more water than your bulkhead can handle.

Keep in mind that external durso are a little bit more noisy than internal ones, because they don't have any sort of enclosure. You can cover it with some thick foam tape on the external side if the noise is still too much for your room.

No-NO-NOOOOOOOO

Never restrict your drain unless you have a backup one. If you run two(or one and one backup) you can restrict the flow to make a full siphon on one but never ever do it on a single drain you are just asking for a disaster. :)

I second the drilling of the cap you can also just remove it till you get it drilled, should make a difference

thanks all!! So, yes there is a cap but no it's not drilled (on purpose so far).

My understanding of the durso standpipe, the intake is pointing down and the hole in the cap is to create the siphon, the narrowing of the pipes at the bottom of the standpipe promotes holding water in the pipe so there is no waterfall, thus no noise. In my case, since there is no overflow the intake is pointing up which pulls the water in but also allow air in, there is no siphon because of that too. The cap actually cut down on some of the noise. I could reverse the intake but I don't think my sump could take on that much water in the event of a power outage, I'll have to measure it. am I off here?

Also, currently the intake on the return pump in my sump is pointing down, this I think would create an issue if the drain pipe for some reason clogged up. The aquarium would have to hold most of the water in the sump. should the intake on the return pump be pointing up and long enough to be a few inches from the expected water level in there?

hope all this makes sense and thanks!

I have the same setup in my frag tank and the hole helps for the noise. Actually I have an hole with a barb valve that I can fine tune.

I don't know how works technically... but I suppose it is the same principle that you can experiment when you close with your hand that tube that discharge the water from a skimmer's body (not the air venturi's tube). Water is going out form the bottom portion of it and air from the top. I think that the water flowing though is generating some turbulence that you discharge with the little hole, generating less gurgling. Not sure about how it works, but it works :)